Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I hear a lot of good things about HD3 climbing capability.
some say better than HD/HDR, better than SL/SLR
A bit hard to believe HD3 climbs better than SL/R, so the new DW link is really that good.
how about compare to ripley?
can HD3 climb like 90% of ripley? assuming built similar, more trail / xc-ish.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Obviously it's not apples to apples because I'm running different tires, but given that I have both, here is my assessment.

HD3 is a very solid climber, with metrics tons of grip when running wide wheels. I pretty much just crank away with no issues until I run out of leg strength. You can more or less just doze off and easily cruise up fire roads in a happy gear. However, when you want to get on the gas and chase down your friend that just took off, you will remember that the HD3 is more on the all-mountain end of the trail bike spectrum, especially if you are running a chunky tires.

The Ripley on the other hand, encourages you though it's nature to fly up whatever climb you have in front of you. This bike makes me want to push it on the climbs and has a very different feeling under power than the HD3. Different != better or worse.

I have an Ikon 2.35 for the rear on my HD3 that is coming this week and I'll be riding both a lot in the coming weeks, so if you really want an near exact comparison on the exact same rear tire, I'll be happy to check back in.

Using the percentage meters, I actually think that the Ripley climbs 115% compared to the HD3 100% and to me, it's more about feeling and what it encourages me to do rather than actually being capable in one way or another.

I've taken my HD3 on days with 5k feet of climbing and it has done great. Would I have been faster on my Ripley on the climbs on that day? Probably.

·
Registered
668 Posts
have both, Ripley and HD3. Have had orig Mojo, Mojo SL, SL-R, orig HD, HDR.

short story is that the Ripley is a ripper climbing. (also owned things like s-works Epic and others while owning the Ripley...epic being the most 'scaulding cat' dually climber I've ever been on). The ripley is really amazing. the HD3 shares some of it's climbing position benefits and is amazing at climbing in it's own right...but the Ripley is clearly more efficient. We did a ~5hr bender of a ride yesterday in and around UCSC and I was rising the HD3 and I was with a really strong guy on a Ripley...doing stuff like sweetness I was digging the HD3 and knowing the Ripley would have been slaying that stuff as well (maybe not quite as well as the HD3)...but in hours 4 and 5 I was wishing I was on the Ripley.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
have both, Ripley and HD3. Have had orig Mojo, Mojo SL, SL-R, orig HD, HDR.

short story is that the Ripley is a ripper climbing. (also owned things like s-works Epic and others while owning the Ripley...epic being the most 'scaulding cat' dually climber I've ever been on). The ripley is really amazing. the HD3 shares some of it's climbing position benefits and is amazing at climbing in it's own right...but the Ripley is clearly more efficient. We did a ~5hr bender of a ride yesterday in and around UCSC and I was rising the HD3 and I was with a really strong guy on a Ripley...doing stuff like sweetness I was digging the HD3 and knowing the Ripley would have been slaying that stuff as well (maybe not quite as well as the HD3)...but in hours 4 and 5 I was wishing I was on the Ripley.
This was my experience when I rode up into Demo from Aptos, did Ridge + Flow trail and climbed back up to ride down. First 3 hours I was happy to be on the HD3, last several hours I missed the Ripley.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all.
I dont want to sacrifice too much on climbing. But if HD3 really noticeably climb better than HD/R or SL/R, and not too far from Ripley, then i mostly would get it.
As for Ripley, I am a bit worry about DH / climb on switchback singletrack.
Still kinda 60-40 for now towards HD3.
no chance to demo either bike yet.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Thank you all.
I dont want to sacrifice too much on climbing. But if HD3 really noticeably climb better than HD/R or SL/R, and not too far from Ripley, then i mostly would get it.
The Ripley climbs well on single track switchbacks. Yes, the HD3 will be better on the downhill than the Ripley.

The HD3 also is a lot more balanced in the air, imo.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Rip's descending can be partially remedied with an angleset, but it really needs a longer reach so you can run a shorter stem and descend with confidence. So it's the length on the TT more than the travel that has me thinking about the HD3.

·
Too Much Fun
2,319 Posts
....super tough call between these two bikes. I own an HD3 but have spent a fair amount of time on various Ripleys. For me the HD3 does SO much SO well that I'd have a hard time justifying a Ripley for myself.

The HD3 really does climb amazingly well and IMO, having the variability of the Inline climbing switch does help on those longer rides where you're starting to really feel it. I put it at 1/3 or 1/2 on some climbs when I've been on the bike for hours and hours.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
HD3 is a damn fine climber and excellent trail bike. With a lighter build (esp. wheels/tires) I think it'd climb >90% of a Ripley at least!

Last year, my rides were a Ripley and a Nomad 27.5. Obvious trail vs. AM/FR split between the two. This year I added an HD3, which is kinda in between. After riding 'em all, I decided to get rid of the Ripley, throw a coil in the Nomad, and I now have the HD3 as my "all day epic/long ride" bike and the Nomad for really gnarly stuff and park days.

My point: I find the HD3 to climb just fine, and don't miss the Ripley's climbing or efficiency on anything I ride. CAVEAT: Wheels/tires are important. 741s give spectacular grip and can get up anything, but running them at low pressure yields noticeable rolling resistance compared to skinnier/higher pressure rubber. As with anything, trade-offs!

·
All bike, all the time
1,067 Posts
You tried both?
So not 90%, how many % do you think?
Tough to assign % but if have to I'd go 80, maybe 85. I will say this, nothing I've ridden can come as close to the Ripley... Ibis truly owns the climbing category! My M429c is a close 3rd:cool:

·
All bike, all the time
1,067 Posts
Really hope u get to demo ... It's the only way to tell what's right for you.
Thank you all.

·
All bike, all the time
1,067 Posts
Interesting, I have the same dual setup but the M429c for the XC all day epics and the T275c for the park play AM FR DH bike. Can't sacrifice the 29 for those loongggg climbs and the M with the new Fox 140 and 941s is versatile enough to do most features any AM course throws up. But wow nothing rips like the Intense, I even had to check for hidden motors like they do on the Tour bikes now, tee hee...
HD3 is a damn fine climber and excellent trail bike. With a lighter build (esp. wheels/tires) I think it'd climb >90% of a Ripley at least!

Last year, my rides were a Ripley and a Nomad 27.5. Obvious trail vs. AM/FR split between the two. This year I added an HD3, which is kinda in between. After riding 'em all, I decided to get rid of the Ripley, throw a coil in the Nomad, and I now have the HD3 as my "all day epic/long ride" bike and the Nomad for really gnarly stuff and park days.

My point: I find the HD3 to climb just fine, and don't miss the Ripley's climbing or efficiency on anything I ride. CAVEAT: Wheels/tires are important. 741s give spectacular grip and can get up anything, but running them at low pressure yields noticeable rolling resistance compared to skinnier/higher pressure rubber. As with anything, trade-offs!

·
All bike, all the time
1,067 Posts
Last time I did Demo I was with stronger riders on 26 and 27.5ers who easily beat me up initial climbs on Aptos road, Ridge Trail etc. By the time we grinded back up Sulfur and Corral I was leading out on the M429c... Wdve been even better on a Ripley...

This was my experience when I rode up into Demo from Aptos, did Ridge + Flow trail and climbed back up to ride down. First 3 hours I was happy to be on the HD3, last several hours I missed the Ripley.

·
J-Flo
1,739 Posts
Climbing is important to me also. I demo'ed the Ripley and HD3 side-by-side at China Camp a couple weekends ago. Obvious difference. The Ripley is the fastest uphill on a non-smooth trail that I have ever ridden (faster even than my hardtail 29er, because it has much better traction), and it loves to be ridden out of the saddle. More maneuverable than you would think but I noticed the short top tube when descending.

The HD3 also climbs very well, it seems to sit down in travel and stay there, moving only for bumps. Definitely could not accelerate uphill to the same extent as on the Ripley. If I had to give you percentages I would say 90% HD3, 110% Ripley.

On a moderately rough/fast downhill on the backside, there was no contest. The Ripley was at a marked disadvantage by comparison and quickly reached its limits. The HD3 by comparison was wickedly stable, could corner on a dime, and wanted to jump over things. I cleared some obstacles that I always have to dab for. Sold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts