Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was climbing my local trail this morning when a guy comes up on my ass and is yelling at me to let him pass.... I'm in my zone and don't want to stop but he was being such a douche I just want to get rid of him so I pull off and stopped.... He was full throttle on an eBike and I'm on a non pedal assist. Does he have the right away? I'm not sure of the rule here....

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
So you are okay if a stronger rider approaches on a normal bike only, but not in this case?

Was he 'yelling' because he was far away when first announcing himself that he had to speak loudy (perceived as yelling)?

When I yell out to runners and am on my bike, I have to start early as I'm approaching them too quickly for them to process that I am there. Should I wait until I am there, they will hear me then I will be past them.

When has it ever been appropriate to hold up a faster rider behind us?

I'm gonna check the rest of MTBR forums for a post stating an e-bike rider came across a douche on the trail going too slow and would not quickly allow the pass.

·
Cycologist
10,085 Posts
Me personally, when a faster rider comes up behind me, I pull over when there's a place to move over.
I also don't like it when I come up behind a rider and they pull over and stop to let me by rather than waiting a short time for a spot where it's a bit wider and slowing down while I pass as I feel like I disrupted their ride. Likewise, if someone comes up behind me, I tell them to come by when they have a chance and then look for a place to let them get by without me having to stop. I'm not going to stop for someone if I'm climbing where I can't restart.

When I'm on my ss, I'll fall back some if approaching another rider when approaching a steep climb so that I don't run up on them. I would not expect them to stop.

·
E-Moderator
1,004 Posts
I also don't like it when I come up behind a rider and they pull over and stop to let me by rather than waiting a short time for a spot where it's a bit wider and slowing down while I pass as I feel like I disrupted their ride. Likewise, if someone comes up behind me, I tell them to come by when they have a chance and then look for a place to let them get by without me having to stop. I'm not going to stop for someone if I'm climbing where I can't restart.
Good points!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Personally, I feel like a douche when passing a rider (s) on a climb and it's usually frequently. Re-starting a climb, mid climb on a regular bike is the opposite of fun (kills your flow and momentum and starting on an incline is typically a *****). So if an assist bike created this environment, that's not cool in my book. This guy above was an asshole and makes us look bad. When I come up on riders climbing I say. "No worries and no hurry...pull over when it's easy or I'll pass when there is a clear opening." I am on a frickin' ebike for god's sake...I can get up the hill without effort and I certainly ain't a badass for getting up the hill for Strava's sake.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Personally, I feel like a douche when passing a rider (s) on a climb and it's usually frequently. Re-starting a climb, mid climb on a regular bike is the opposite of fun (kills your flow and momentum and starting on an incline is typically a *****). So if an assist bike created this environment, that's not cool in my book. This guy above was an asshole and makes us look bad. When I come up on riders climbing I say. "No worries and no hurry...pull over when it's easy or I'll pass when there is a clear opening." I am on a frickin' ebike for god's sake...I can get up the hill without effort and I certainly ain't a badass for getting up the hill for Strava's sake.
This. When I go out to ride, I make sure I have zero time constraints. I usually ride alone and never really pass anyone. My trails may not be as congested.

·
Banned
10,330 Posts
I pull over for faster riders both up and down as soon as I hear them and am hopefully out of their way before they reach me. I'd like to expect the same situational awareness from other riders. Of course there are exceptions such a really tech sections or narrow cliffy stuff but these are pretty obvious to both parties. I will clarify I'm speaking specifically to mountain bikers, not interested in riding motorized trails if I can avoid them.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Regardless of pedal or motor assisted, I would find a spot to let the person pass but certainly would not stop and pull over. All momentum is lost at that point. The upcoming rider needs to chill to allow safe passage from the slower rider.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I was climbing my local trail this morning when a guy comes up on my ass and is yelling at me to let him pass.... I'm in my zone and don't want to stop but he was being such a douche I just want to get rid of him so I pull off and stopped.... He was full throttle on an eBike and I'm on a non pedal assist. Does he have the right away? I'm not sure of the rule here....
No, because humans aren't built with eyes in the back of our heads; probably that guy who buzzed my back tire a few years ago has gotten himself an eBike.

·
Banned
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no problem getting passed when climbing (I'm slow and I know it) but this guy was on my ass in a very tight and techy spot. It only pissed me off because he was pushing for me to stop and let him by and then I realized he probably would not have caught me in that section if not for his motor.

Do eBikes have the right away? I know as a MTBR I yield to Hikers, Horses and uphill traffic. Do I yield to motos now?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,337 Posts
I have no problem getting passed when climbing (I'm slow and I know it) but this guy was on my ass in a very tight and techy spot. It only pissed me off because he was pushing for me to stop and let him by and then I realized he probably would not have caught me in that section if not for his motor.

Do eBikes have the right away? I know as a MTBR I yield to Hikers, Horses and uphill traffic. Do I yield to motos now?
If someone wants to pass me, doesn't matter who they are, it's their responsibility to do so safely and respectfully. As the rider in front, I get to choose where this happens.

USUALLY, riders who want to pass are pretty good about waiting and asking to pass when it's reasonable to do so. They're patient, and they don't mind backing off on the pace a little bit. Usually I notice they're back there and let them pass before they say anything. Amusingly, it's happened more than once where I let them pass at exactly the same moment they ask to pass. Most of the rest of the time, they ask to pass as soon as they ride up behind me, but are respectful and patient about it, and I'll acknowledge their request and tell them I'll let them pass at a better spot. The slower rider has no responsibility/requirement/reasonable expectation to move over immediately. The faster rider has every responsibility/requirement/reasonable expectation to control their speed and ride safely and respectfully.

Someone hauling a$$ up behind me yelling to pass is going to get exactly the same treatment. I'm not going to jump out of my way because they're being a jerk. I'll move aside to let them pass when it's safe/prudent to do so and I'll communicate that to them if right now isn't that place. This is no different than someone yelling "STRAVA!" to get people to move because they're trying to set a PR or a KOM or something. That's even bad behavior in a race, so whatever makes people think it's acceptable on open, public trails is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Really, you should probably not be riding turbo up crowded trails, even if you're fully legal. It's a jerk move, and it makes you stand out from the rest of the mountain bikers like a sore thumb. Sooner or later doing that is going to get noticed by enough people that they'll want to drop the ban hammer.

So, and this is IMO - don't exceed the speed a normal fast person would climb, if you're on a trail with many other people. If not crowded, get your braap on and hit it as fast as you want, but be super polite (of course) when you're passing.

-Walt

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.