Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't quite understand the "difficulty" in climbing big hills, I mean, it's kind of Lemond's quote in reverse, his quote was, "It never gets any easier you just go faster.". And my quote with big hills is "It doesn't hurt any more you just go slower."

Am I right? Ultimately you only have the capacity to get X amount of oxygen into your blood depending on your fitness, THAT is what limits your forward progress, a steep hill just means you go slower, it doesn't mean it hurts more, unless you don't know how to change gears properly or "set your throttle" accurately.

Discuss.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
The bigger the hill the better. I love climbing. Never met a hill I didn't like. Bring it on!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bigger the hill the better. I love climbing. Never met a hill I didn't like. Bring it on!
Right?!?!

I don't quite get the aversion to climbing, or the pain of it, yea, it can suck, but if you show up with the right equipment/fitness it isn't any worse that pedalling on level ground.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I don't quite understand the "difficulty" in climbing big hills, I mean, it's kind of Lemond's quote in reverse, his quote was, "It never gets any easier you just go faster.". And my quote with big hills is "It doesn't hurt any more you just go slower."

Am I right? Ultimately you only have the capacity to get X amount of oxygen into your blood depending on your fitness, THAT is what limits your forward progress, a steep hill just means you go slower, it doesn't mean it hurts more, unless you don't know how to change gears properly or "set your throttle" accurately.

Discuss.
If you have the capacity to ride it quick than you can slow down to enjoy it or take a break without needing to stop. If the climb is at your limit to just keep moving it will suck the whole way and your only other options are to stop every time you max out or walk.

There's quite a few climbs around here between 1 mile to 4 miles long that will put me at a 180 to 190 heart rate just to keep moving. My max HR is 198.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't quite get the aversion to climbing, or the pain of it, yea, it can suck, but if you show up with the right equipment/fitness it isn't any worse that pedalling on level ground.
On smooth trail, sure. Throw a bunch of roots and rock in there and you'll pay for small mistakes with lots of energy. I'm a strong climber but my line choice isn't the greatest and sometimes it feels like my front tire is bouncing off everything it touches and I'm working twice as hard as I should be.

·
Registered
798 Posts
One of the cool things about getting a bike computer was looking at the plots of elevation vs time. I noticed that all the hills looked like they had the same slope even though I knew they varied from 3 to 15%. Then I remembered they were graphs vs time. It just meant that my uphill speed was inversely proportional to the slope - just as the OP suggests.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the climb is at your limit to just keep moving it will suck the whole way and your only other options are to stop every time you max out or walk.
Certainly, I am a fan of too low of a gear as opposed to too much gear, going a bit slower on the descent doesn't suck nearly as much as being short gears on the climb!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of climbing are you doing that it feels "just like pedaling on level ground, only slower"?
When I pedal on level ground I keep clicking up through the gears till I'm sort of maxed out cardiovascularly, and when I'm climbing hills I keep clicking down through the gears till I'm not overdoing it cardiovascularly.

Set throttle at 75% and adjust gears as needed.

I'm a spaz, I have a hard time running at part throttle, so I'm not prone to "easy pedaling" on flats. I'm also a bit smaller of a guy (158 pounds) so hills are sort of in my favor compared to bigger guys.

As far as the hills I climb on asphalt, Strava shows my biggest unbroken climb as 4,100 feet or thereabouts, I think that was on an 11,000' day and I have a 5,000'+ unbroken road climb lined up in California in a few weeks, but I have plenty low gearing for it. I put down 5,300'+ climb on my MTB recently, but that was not a single climb, it was two 2000' climbs with some other hills thrown in.

But, I'm absolutely not fast on these climbs as I don't want to blow myself up.

Low gears save lives!

·
EMBA Member
1,985 Posts
The hills/mountains in my area have lots of sustained and unrelenting steep to them such that I am giving a large percentage of my maximum output almost continuously for extended periods of time. At some point, you can't go slower, you are in your lowest gear, yet you are still working really hard for extended periods of time. Throw in some tech or loose conditions, and let the good times roll.

·
passed out in your garden
3,390 Posts
I love climbing and flats on a roadie, not so a fan of downhill on the road (had a couple of motorbike crashes)

On the mtb l like downhill, although l guess lm slow, climbing is ok but its just a means to an end

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
I am OK with climbing because round here you are rewarded for the effort put in by some amazing downhill work. Unfortunately with age and infirmity, those climbs are sucking it out of me and I find myself on the easier trails just because the steep **** kills me now! I take a long time to recover after any hard workout, but Catch 22, I gotta keep at it to stay healthy... Every so often tho I force myself uphill, but I have to say that it is most definitely NOT like pedaling on the flat! At least not the trails near my house...

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
I don't prefer climbing, but I also don't despise it...in fact, mastering a climb is probably the only "trophies" I have ever kept/keep in MTB....or mastering anything really, but I gauge my progress physically by my progress on climbs...and always catalog it as a motivator for the next one.

I am one of the weirdos who would rather walk up an incline to go down it, than shuttle...

I feel like climbs were pwrt of the natural terrain that I grew up riding on, so they never became something to dread or shun...they are just there...the next thing in the line

Reactions: Shark
1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.