Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my Scott Scale 40 1x9, I was hearing a periodic click while riding. Put it on the workstand and pedaled to see if I could replicate it...no luck. I started shifting gears and eventually heard it again. Shifted some more and it went away. Shifted again, and back it comes.

Turns out on only one of the cogs, for some reason, the chain is hanging up periodically on the teeth. I checked to see if it's the same tooth every time, or the same link in the chain, but it doesn't appear to be. The click I am hearing is the chain settling onto the tooth and sort of snapping in place.

Any thoughts? I ran out of time but plan on giving the chain a good cleaning tonight...maybe just some gunk causing problems?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
seemana said:
So on my Scott Scale 40 1x9, I was hearing a periodic click while riding. Put it on the workstand and pedaled to see if I could replicate it...no luck. I started shifting gears and eventually heard it again. Shifted some more and it went away. Shifted again, and back it comes.

Turns out on only one of the cogs, for some reason, the chain is hanging up periodically on the teeth. I checked to see if it's the same tooth every time, or the same link in the chain, but it doesn't appear to be. The click I am hearing is the chain settling onto the tooth and sort of snapping in place.

Any thoughts? I ran out of time but plan on giving the chain a good cleaning tonight...maybe just some gunk causing problems?

Thanks in advance!
Could need a slight indexing adjustment.
Bent cog teeth.
Worn cog, especially if this is your most used gear.
Replace the cassette for the latter two.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Having just finished putting this bike together, I don't think it could be a worn out cog...I've only got 4 rides on the thing. Maybe a bent tooth...I'll have to take a closer look tonight for that.

Thanks again! Any other thoughts are welcome too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts