Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clicking on pedal rotation... help!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DragonSlayerChris 
#1 ·
Hey so I recently bought a 2013 D29 Team and after a few rides I've begun to hear a clicking noise on a pedal rotation, similar to pedalling backwards but not as frequent or as loud. Almost sounds like a creaking. It doesn't effect my ride at all its just the noise that concerns me. I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about, and what part might be causing it. The noise is happening around the front gears / pedal crank, however I don't know the exact culprit. Let me know if you need more info.

#3 ·
I had this same problem. It turned out that I had some play between the bottom bracket and non-drive side crank arm. I ended up upgrading the BB and Crankset (the stock was 8 years old). The new parts are quiet. I probably ruined the original crank arm by over-tightening IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
That Frame uses a PF30 bottom bracket. I would check that out for play, those press fit cups can wear and start to move and rotate in the frame a bit and thus cause the crank to move and chain to make noise. You can replace with a wheels manufacturing thread together replacment unit that will solve this problem. its a press fit on the drive side, then the non drive side gets threaded into the drive side and locks the two together so nothing to move anymore, plus they align perfectly from side to side. worthwhile investment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.