Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have posted a video demonstrating clicking noises that arise when i apply downward pressure onto the pedals...see video, but you need to click unmute button:
i also removed the chain and tried this again. video here
(hope my pants were not too much of a distraction)

i have been able to exclude pedals, headset, seat post, water bottle screws, drop out hanger bolts.

any ideas? i have a hollowtech 1 system.

i am wondering if i should:
a - head to the LBS to see if they can apply the appropriate torque to the crank bolt.
b - buy a crank extractor and BB tool to remove, clean, regrease, even though i did this 1 year ago.
c - convert to a hollowtech 2 and buy a new bb and chainset.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it's been a year since you cleaned/greased your BB and this issue only recently began then I would certainly remove your cranks and thoroughly clean/re-grease your BB and crank spindle as well as remove your pedals and service them (depending on what pedals you're running obviously).
I'd also remove your freehub body and clean/grease all that as well although if it happens with the chain removed then that pretty much isolates it to the crank related areas.
Pretty much any moving part on your drivetrain could use a service at one point or another and if it's been a while and you're experiencing issues then I wouldn't just start replacing stuff unless you just want to.
You mentioned you excluded the possibility of it being the seat post - does that include the actual seat mount itself? I'd make sure your seat isn't loose on the post.

*You should absolutely make sure you've got it all torqued back to spec (either yourself or take it to a shop/borrow a buddy's torque wrench) including your chainring bolts. A lot of the time its hard to gauge exactly how much torque you've got by hand unless you have a bunch of experience

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.