Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I'm getting a VERY annoying Clicking noise Coming From the crank...ish area. I have NO idea what's making the noise. I took it to the LBS and they tightened stuff up on it, but that solved nothing. It sounds like a Metal to Metal Slapping/Clicking.

Its not Super loud, But I've got the, "Dude, wtf is that noise" Response on the Trail a few times because it.

I tried putting it up on my Stand and listening for it, but I have to actually riding the bike for it to happen.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
Clicking from the crank, i'd try:
1. take off pedals, grease the threads
2. Take out those little fasteners that hold on the rings, grease them AND grease the mating surfaces between the rings and the crank
3. Remove the BB, grease, reinstall

From there, it's likely not your crank. Take out your seatpost, and ride ... see if it clicks. Still clicking? Take off your waterbottle cages. Generally, I have found that various noises are often not fixed by tightening everything. In fact, i've made things worse. You're much better off taking things apart, greasing, then putting things back to roughly the intended torque specifications.

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
Is it happening in the same place in the peddle stroke everytime? Like left foot rolls over top ..... click. AND is it happening in that same place on the stroke regardless of the gear you are in? Then it is probably in the crank, bb or peddle.

If it happems more in a lower gear and less in a higher gear ... like every 2 revolutions, check the drive train.

Check Park Tools Noise Trouble Shooter

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=98

I have this same problem you discribed. I happens ever stroke at the same place. I am still working it, but seem to be in the cranks or peddles at this point.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
I had a clicking noise a few months ago that I was sure was coming from the BB, as it only happened while pedalling, and got worse the harder I pedalled. After re-greasing everything I could think of, and still having that obnoxious noise, I finally discovered it was coming from a water bottle bolt in the downtube that creaked as the frame flexed under power.

In other words, check all the crap you don't suspect it could possibly be.

·
Registered
101 Posts
f3rg said:
I had a clicking noise a few months ago that I was sure was coming from the BB, as it only happened while pedalling, and got worse the harder I pedalled. After re-greasing everything I could think of, and still having that obnoxious noise, I finally discovered it was coming from a water bottle bolt in the downtube that creaked as the frame flexed under power.

In other words, check all the crap you don't suspect it could possibly be.
:madman:

I had the same problem a few months ago. Ended up buying a new BB, cassette, chain and chainrings only to find out that it was coming from the seatpost. Cleaned the seatpost and solved the problem.

Follow ettore's advice

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
fenrisulfur said:
:madman:

I had the same problem a few months ago. Ended up buying a new BB, cassette, chain and chainrings only to find out that it was coming from the seatpost. Cleaned the seatpost and solved the problem.

Follow ettore's advice
I have to grease my seat shim every spring. Otherwise, I hear a horrendous creaking sound that seems to be coming from the crank area.

Thank Dog it's only the shim!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.