Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my Matt Chester Mutinyman recently and have put about 90 miles on it. Noticeable weight difference and handling, so we're still getting acquainted. I've scared myself launching off little things and getting more air than I'm used to because the Mute's a lot lighter than my Karate Monkey :eek: The Monkey, which I've been riding since February, weighs about 26.5 lbs, while this bike weighs 21.75 lbs as built. This bike also steers more quickly than the Monkey, so I've got to learn to relax a little more.

Details, if you're into that stuff:
  • Matt Chester Mutinyman: 72 degree HA, ?? SA. TT low enough so I don't hurt my crotch on dismounts
  • Waltworks fork: 430mm A-C, 50mm rake
  • King headset
  • Thomson stem: 100mm x 5 degree rise
  • Moots post
  • Seven bar: 26" wide, 11 degree sweep
  • Oury grips
  • Flite saddle
  • Paul compact levers
  • Avid mech disc front brake
  • Shimano XTR rear brake
  • King (constantly loosening rear SS and ISO front) hubs
  • Salsa Delgado rims
  • Ignitor rear tire (folding)
  • Exiwolf front tire (folding)
  • Bonty 29 x 2.1 tubes
  • Raceface cranks 175mm
  • Shimano UN-73 BB
  • Salsa bash guard
  • Surly 34T ring
  • King 20T steel cog
  • SRAM PC-58 chain
  • Shimano 959 pedals
  • Jen Green head badge

I was a little worried about how skinny the fork looked when I got it, but after riding it a little bit, it has worked fine. It flexes back and forth, but none of that shuddering while braking that I've heard about on ultra lightweight/skinny forks. Lots of clearance with the Exiwolf also!

FWIW, Me: 5' 8.5", 158 lbs, 32" inseam.

Thanks Matt and Walt! :cool:

Attachments

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
I had some hesitation opening this thread. Then using some feeble minded deduction, I realized what you might be talking about. I'm glad I opened this thread.

As stated earlier, clean and elegant. I really like the lines on this bike! Still love the look of a classic leather flite saddle!

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
Drevil said:
I got my Matt Chester Mutinyman recently and have put about 90 miles on it. Noticeable weight difference and handling, so we're still getting acquainted. I've scared myself launching off little things and getting more air than I'm used to because the Mute's a lot lighter than my Karate Monkey :eek: The Monkey, which I've been riding since February, weighs about 26.5 lbs, while this bike weighs 21.75 lbs as built. This bike also steers more quickly than the Monkey, so I've got to learn to relax a little more.

Details, if you're into that stuff:
  • Matt Chester Mutinyman: 72 degree HA, ?? SA. TT low enough so I don't hurt my crotch on dismounts
  • Waltworks fork: 430mm A-C, 50mm rake
  • King headset
  • Thomson stem: 100mm x 5 degree rise
  • Moots post
  • Seven bar: 26" wide, 11 degree sweep
  • Oury grips
  • Flite saddle
  • Paul compact levers
  • Avid mech disc front brake
  • Shimano XTR rear brake
  • King (constantly loosening rear SS and ISO front) hubs
  • Salsa Delgado rims
  • Ignitor rear tire (folding)
  • Exiwolf front tire (folding)
  • Bonty 29 x 2.1 tubes
  • Raceface cranks 175mm
  • Shimano UN-73 BB
  • Salsa bash guard
  • Surly 34T ring
  • King 20T steel cog
  • SRAM PC-58 chain
  • Shimano 959 pedals
  • Jen Green head badge

I was a little worried about how skinny the fork looked when I got it, but after riding it a little bit, it has worked fine. It flexes back and forth, but none of that shuddering while braking that I've heard about on ultra lightweight/skinny forks. Lots of clearance with the Exiwolf also!

FWIW, Me: 5' 8.5", 158 lbs, 32" inseam.

Thanks Matt and Walt! :cool:
Hey a triangle frame, the easiest way to make a light, stiff, resilient, well handling bike. After all the freak show bikes I've seen lately it's a breath of fresh air.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Drevil said:
This bike also steers more quickly than the Monkey, so I've got to learn to relax a little more.
Try not to break this one, Rick. I just wish you were a little taller...and rode Eggs...so I could have a go on that pretty little thing. :p

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Holy smokes, 7mm more offset than the KM fork, same head angle. I can only imagine how quickly it handles... My Cube on paper is 72.25º/43mm now, also with a Walt fork, and that's already plenty quick to pester the babywheelers on singletrack :)

I love how that bike looks, and I've got a serious thing for lightweight 29"ers. Respect for your commitment to go non-suspension corrected. Or is that the only way these frames come? :)

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Drevil,
Yours could be a cousin to my Strong. Especially when I put my Walt fork on it. The buildup and look is so close to mine that you know I like it!

How do you like the Seven bar? Have you ridden a Mary/H-bar to compare the 11 deg sweep with?

As mentioned in my thread, it sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Much lighter, quicker bike making the transition a bit of a challenge. I must admit in my case I was slightly put off. After all the waiting and planning I was expecting the angels to choir when I hit the trails. Instead, I could tell the bike is *going* to be great, but that it is going to take some dialing in and quality saddle time to fully bond. After 3 rides and a stem change, saddle change and some fork fiddling I could say that the angels are clearing their throats.

I guess no different than my first 29er. I could tell it was different, and mostly better. After a year of riding the 29er I had to use one of my old 26ers while waiting for busted up parts. Then I could tell that the 29er was so much better.

Anyway, enjoy the bike...I hope for many happy miles for you two.

B

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cloxx/MDEnvEngr: Yes, the bike steers really fast and I've crashed a few times because of it. I figure like any new bike/gizmo, it'll take some rides to get used to it. I liked Jones H-bars when I first tried them, hated them for a couple of weeks later, then loved them thereafter (and after the proper callouses built up). I'm experimenting with position still, and the bars are a little higher than I like. I'm used to them being ~1" lower than the top of the saddle. Right now they're about even.

Why no H-bar? I wanted to see if I missed flat bars. I'm getting a Mary for my wife's bike, but will probably play with it myself for a little while. I've got a lot of time.

I'm pretty sure Matt builds sussy corrected, but I won't put suspension on this bike, so I figured why have it sit up so high? As it is, with no spacers underneath the stem, it still feels a squidge high. (I guess I have short legs?) Flipping the stem (or trying a 0 rise) will take care of that.

Teamdicky: Nope, not new. I've had this fork since May, and I've seen it in another post: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=1209675&postcount=20

Donkey/Striker: Yup, rack mounts. Good for those long jaunts in the woods, the Great Divide Race ;), or carrying Allroy's mama. :eek:

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Well

Teamdicky: Nope, not new. I've had this fork since May, and I've seen it in another post: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=1209675&postcount=20

Maybe it just wasn't an option for me. I wanted a 473mm fork built with a lean to the stronger rather than lighter side. The tapered legs do look nice. Makes me miss my KM fork (only from an aesthetic point of view).

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Drevil said:
This bike also steers more quickly than the Monkey, so I've got to learn to relax a little more.
I swapped out my Jones H-Bars on my monkey for a set of flat bars (the H-bars went on my Wily). The bike feels noticeably quicker steering. It just takes a while to get used to it.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.