Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 5 Spot rear end has some play and noise that I found comes from one of the clevis pivots. If I grab the wheel and push/pull it, the seatstay mount visibly moves back and forth in the rocker link, accompanied by a loud metallic pop each time I push/pull the wheel.
So it looks like either the rocker mount for the seatstay on one side is too wide, or the seatstay mounting to the rocker is too narrow? Why didn't I notice this before?
It's torqued and greased normally.
I emailed Turner yesterday and am (obviously impatiently) awaiting a response :D, but in the meantime it's keeping me from riding. So I was wondering if anyone encountered this and what the fix was.
I figure a couple shim washers alongside each of the yellow gasket things might do the trick, but I've never disassembled the pivots and I don't know what the design is like. If those yellow gasket things are not solid spacers and there is a gap in there, what prevents side to side sliding on the bushing? Is it a worn bushing?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I had one of those in a 2009 Sultan, and it turned out that the "bolt" part of the "bolt/nut" assembly (clevis?) was just a mm or so too long. Turner sent out a couple of new ones, and problem solved.

I'm not sure that's what you've got going on, but if you're impatient, call them. They'll get you back on the trail quickly.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I had one of those in a 2009 Sultan, and it turned out that the "bolt" part of the "bolt/nut" assembly (clevis?) was just a mm or so too long. Turner sent out a couple of new ones, and problem solved.
Ditto. Had some out of spec bushings/bolts on my 2011 spot and Turner just sent me a new kit to replace them.

Drove me nuts until I gave up and called. It got really easy after that part though.;)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Call greg and describe the problem. Could be several issues. I had the same and replaced the bolt/nut which didn't work, then changed the rockers which didn't work and what finally did it was a hole new rear triangle! It was out of specs. now I don't have any play there

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Call greg and describe the problem. Could be several issues. I had the same and replaced the bolt/nut which didn't work, then changed the rockers which didn't work and what finally did it was a hole new rear triangle! It was out of specs. now I don't have any play there
I'll do some caliper measuring since it's only one side. And no contact number on the Turner site? May have to wait for an email response. Thanks all.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'll do some caliper measuring since it's only one side. And no contact number on the Turner site? May have to wait for an email response. Thanks all.
Greg, as far as I have heard is out of the office for Outerbike.

Turners # below
Turner Suspension Bicycles, Inc.
41615 Date St. #105
Murrieta, CA. 92562
Phone: 951-677-1711

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
Had the same issue, a shim made from a pepsi can under one of the bushings and a little sanding of the pivot shaft (to make it just a few microns shorter) solved the problem. The pivots are super easy to work on, that's one of the reasons I love Turners.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Trimmed the shafts as Turner and everyone advised, took off 2 100ths of a millimeter at a time, which took a while but got it fixed up. No problem. Thanks.
Edit: Was asking if the Park grease is too thick, archive of the Turner site from '08 says they recommend M-Prep for just that reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.