Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 15 years since I've been riding clipless, I've always had the cleat set up so the ball of my foot was over the center of the pedal, and never thought much of it. After a few miles, my feet would start to go numb, but I would keep riding, that was how it was. The other night, I stumbled across a thread somewhere that said you should move your cleats as far back as possible to get a more powerful stroke, it also said it would relieve numbness. It stated that the cleat position was forward because that's how the foot was positioned when riders wore toeclips. I decided to try it out with my road bike first. It felt a little odd at first being so far forward on the pedals. But after 7 miles, my feet didn't go numb once, there was something to this! Samething on the 7 miles home, no numbness. That night I took out the MTB shoes and slid those cleats all the way back too. Mind you, you need to raise the seat a little if you do this, and maybe slide it back a little too. I am eager to try it out in the trails and see how it feels. Not going numb is a wonderful thing for a change.
Just wondering if anybody else has tried this out and what results they had.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just made the switch to clipless pedals today(a first for me). I just got back from a ride, no falls yet but several close calls!
I tried placing the cleats centered on the ball of my foot and it just doesn't feel natural to me. I think I may end up moving mine back regardless if there is performance penalty. I'd rather have comfort while riding... after all I'm in this to have fun.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I wouldn't immediately jump on moving them as far back as possible (just personal opinion) but it is a definite solution if you are riding long distances or getting hotfoot.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I've experienced what you are describing. For a while I had my cleats back a little behind the ball of my feet but definitely not as far back as the show would permit. Personally I would make smaller incremental adjustments. However, after a bike fit my cleats are back below the ball of my feet in order to put the pressure on my skeletal structure rather than muscles and tendons. If a rider's foot it going numb, its possible a stiffer shoe will help that. A pedal with a larger platform may also help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you move your cleats toward a mid-foot cleat position you need to lower your seat. Look up steve Hogg and mid-foot cleat postion. At one time Joe Friel was an advocate.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleat position

I did a quick 14 mile ride this morning, and my feet never went numb, so for me at least moving the cleats back is a positive thing. What I was reading also stated that by moving the cleats to the rear you use thigh muscles more than calf muscles, and that creates a more powerful stroke. I found my speed was up and my legs were just fine at the end of the ride. The information stated that for mountain biking there should be a noticable difference since we tend to pull up on the pedals more so that road riders. Especially on hills. It will probably be a a week before I can hit the trail for my own test, but it sounds promising. I'd suggest trying moving the cleats back and see if it works for you. If your feet go numb or tingle, you should definetly try it, since it seems to cure that problem if nothing else!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
14 miles home from work with no numbness in the feet, and had a good strong pace going. As far as I'm concerned, moving the cleats to the rear makes a positive difference. At least on a road bike. I'm eager to notice an improvement on the trail. I'll advise once I've tested it in the woods.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Same for me. In last 5 yrs my feet go numb in 20-30min no matter what kind of shoe. I was fitted by LBS and my cleats are all the way forwar mounted in the rear 2 holes (SPD's). I will give the adjustment a try. It could be the padding too.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
When I did use clipless I found running the cleats all the way back was an improvement toward comfort. The other cause of numb feet is strapping/lacing your shoes too tight.

·
I LIKE RICE!
7 Posts
I might just be me, but in my new clipless shoes my feet went numb on the drive to the trail. It was just a matter of loosening the laces and straps a bit. Easy fix.

·
I LIKE RICE!
7 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned that I already had my cleats all the way back. That seemed to line up with where my feet naturally fell on the pedal.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,551 Posts
I had a professional fitting (lasers, DV cameras and crap like that) back in 2010, and made note of the cleat position from the fitting… I’ve since set up the same cleat position on my latest pair of shoes. The ball of my foot is ever so slightly in front of the centerline of the cleat position.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Pedaling style plays a part in cleat position also, heels down move the cleat back. a more forward position for heels up.

·
Banned
581 Posts
My feet goes numb sometimes. The thing about clipless shoes is you always have to keep them very tight on your feet otherwise you will lose pedal efficiency if you allow some play in the shoe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello,

Reviving an old thread. I got to this thread as part of my research to find a clipless shoe that allows to mount the cleat further back than traditional shoes. I am looking at positioning it about a centimeter behind the ball of the foot as explained in the video above.

I found a review on the Five Ten Maltese Falcon shoes that mentions the posibility of locating the cleat further back than traditional clipless shoes

Review: Five Ten Maltese Falcon SPD Compatible Shoes

Can anybody using these shoes confirm whether this is correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I switched to flat clipless pedals I was doing a short race and thought I would switch back to cliipped I couldn't do it. It felt so unnatural that I had to switch back. I think the only way I could go back to clips is if I went with a true mid-foot cleat position. Flats have been fine. The only complaint I have is pedal strikes. Flats are alot bigger. I think I will fix by going with shorter crankarms

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Can anybody using these shoes confirm whether this is correct?

Thanks
I have the Maltese Race and the slots seem to be a fair bit longer than most shoes.

also, since this is such a specific question in the end of an ancient thread, you might get better answers if you start a thread in the appareal and protection forum.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the Maltese Race and the slots seem to be a fair bit longer than most shoes.

also, since this is such a specific question in the end of an ancient thread, you might get better answers if you start a thread in the appareal and protection forum.
Thanks for the reply. Can you measure the slot length please?

Its a good idea to post in that sub forum (too many sub forums)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts