Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "white whale" on my local trail. Not really that difficult or sketchy, just got the idea in my head that I couldnt clean it. Finally did it yesterday afternoon. Feels pretty good to not have to go around anymore!

Attachments

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
Well done. That does look sketchy.

It's funny how silly it seems after you've gotten up your nerve & just make up your mind to do it.

There's an obstacle on my regular loop that has two logs across the trail so that your front & rear tires hit at the same time. I've cleared it a few times but more often than not it ends up as a 'clipless moment' with me on the ground.

Anymore I just dismount & walk it. :lol:

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Congrats to the OP. I think most of us have done the same thing..Ride past a cool looking obstacle or trail feature and down inside really wanted to try it but had that initial fear of doing so and then one day deciding to give it a go.

I have done it with logpiles - just when I felt I was ready and my friend prodded me to do it, I finally gave it a go and surprised myself.

·
It's a slugfest!
742 Posts
Nice feature. Love the wires under the bridge. Move that cinder block in the ditch and I'd try it.... Knowing my luck, I'd fail and land squarely on that block...

·
Grinder
340 Posts
kbporter said:
My "white whale" on my local trail. Not really that difficult or sketchy, just got the idea in my head that I couldnt clean it. Finally did it yesterday afternoon. Feels pretty good to not have to go around anymore!
im not sure how you went around that. but thats what i would do is go around that. only because i have doubts in design and whether it would truly support me and my bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nogod said:
im not sure how you went around that. but thats what i would do is go around that. only because i have doubts in design and whether it would truly support me and my bike.
There's a small flat bridge just to the right, I was actually standing on it when I took the photo. The whole thing is pretty solid. Before the wires were put in though, they were using paracord for tension... not so much.

·
Genius
936 Posts
nogod said:
Agreed. That construction.....:madman: :nono: :madman:

It might support a rider once or even a few hundred times but that looks like something my father-in-law would build and then dare me to try it. (No offense dad;) )

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
The only thing worse than riding around or not cleaning an obstacle is finally doing it, then realizing there's no one there to see it because you're riding alone. :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
This is my nemesis. Small grades entering and exiting. Narrow under the water fall. It's just in my head

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
I think we all have a Nemesis where we regulary ride, when you conquer it it is awesome, then you notice something else and build up to that...

evolution of this is, at what point is there something in your ride or where you ride you find out about and you don't have interest in hitting it? There are some drops or features where I've done considerably larger but can't be bothered to hit, any one else find that there are some features on their local loop that can't be bothered to take the time to hit even though they'd have been a Nemesis at some point?

·
livin' the dream......
1,967 Posts
This don't look like much, but you come up a steep hill and this 15-18" step is at the top. You fall to the left when you don't make it, down into rocks and cactus.....

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Here's mine on a trail about 3 miles from the house, we call it the "root of all evil". There are a series of roots on a nice steep trail with this one at a 45 degree angle. It doesn't look like much but there is no way to just ride over it, you have to hesitate for a split second and hop the back wheel on it or you will spin out. I make it every other time, I made it in the snow this time...:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.