Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out how to keep sealant out of pressure gauge...OR better yet, has anyone figured out how to get the darn stuff out of a gauge? My gauge is all epoxied together from the factory so it is not going to come apart easily for cleaning out the gunk. It still gives me pressure but the bleeder no longer works. What dissolves this stuff? My usual automotive type solvent, of which I have the full gamut, don't touch it. I am reluctant to throw the really nasty stuff in there as I don't want to kill the gauge. I have cleaned out all that I can see with a microscope. The tiny hole that goes to the gauge and bleeder is clear. The clog is inside the brass part where I can't get at it. I cannot be the only person with this particular annoyance.
Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Anything that could dissolve the Stans will dissolve all the seals in the gauge. You’ll just have to live with it or buy a new gauge. In the future, before checking pressure make sure the valve is at the top and let it sit for a minute so all the sealant drains to the bottom of the tire.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
it's latex rubber
pretty resistant once hardened up
might even be chemically crosslinked but I don't know secret formulas

mechanically pick at it with...uhh...picks
ammonia is the carrier, try ammonia rinses

if the clog is 'up there' and ammonia won't do it....

time for the real hazardous toolkit
you ain't getting it out unless you can rinse and bathe it in 100degC (212 F) benzene, or other organic solvent....else nothing can clean it out if it is in the bourdon tube

and yes this will dissolve any other rubber part in the gauge, so take apart
as much as possible first

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Actually i position valve opposite as stated when i stop and store the bike. If you stop with the valve at top, sealant drips down into the calve collecting at the tip. Positioning calve at bottom sealant will want to drain out the valve back into rim, unless you run so much sealant that it fills past the depth of the rim!
So I position the valve within the bottom half/third. I try to vary position a bit to avoid having a big pool of hardened sealant in one spot of rim. If its been sitting a couple days ill sometimes reposition it even in the upper half by slowly rotating Without going beyond a full rotation to prevent sealant from dripping back into valve.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I store the wheel with the valves down like Taroroot and then rotate the valve for filling or checking the pressure like ljsmith, but to just below horizontal. This prevents fluid from pooling and hardening in the valve stem during storage and reduces the chances of fluid escaping through the valve into your pump or gauge during connection. It's also easy enough to replace valve cores as needed. As for your gauge, I think it's time for a new one.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've gotten in the habit of never checking air pressure unless it's right after inflating. I don't want to deal with a clogged pressure gauge. Clogged valves are annoying enough as it is 😋 Always having the valve at the bottom of the wheel and before filling I tap the valve a couple of short bursts to make sure the valve is clear of sealant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.