Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2016 Roubaix SL4 with black matte (red letter brand) and after riding in the rain 3 days the top tube, only about 1/2 of it, started bubbling up like a madman.

I can just chip it off in big chunks with my finger nail.

A coworker suggested just taking back the bubbled area with a scraper or 0000 and using a matte polish. Another suggested contacting the company about what clear coat to use to spray back on.

Any suggestions by ppl here who actually ride bikes? I take care of the bike. Quite surprised. It's out of warranty of course (2nd owner, past 2 years)

Funny thing is, I have a sticker badge of my last name over part of the area and under it the clear coat is fine. So maybe it's not UV rated, or water resistant if it's wet for a long time?!? IDK. TIA!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sweat.

I think the 3 days in the rain just sealed the deal, the prior 3 years of dripping sweat on the top tube PROBABLY made this happen.

I could be wrong.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have a 2016 Roubaix SL4 with black matte (red letter brand) and after riding in the rain 3 days the top tube, only about 1/2 of it, started bubbling up like a madman.

I can just chip it off in big chunks with my finger nail.

A coworker suggested just taking back the bubbled area with a scraper or 0000 and using a matte polish. Another suggested contacting the company about what clear coat to use to spray back on.

Any suggestions by ppl here who actually ride bikes? I take care of the bike. Quite surprised. It's out of warranty of course (2nd owner, past 2 years)

Funny thing is, I have a sticker badge of my last name over part of the area and under it the clear coat is fine. So maybe it's not UV rated, or water resistant if it's wet for a long time?!? IDK. TIA!
Questions: Is it factory or is it aftermarket paint? If you were the original owner it would still be under the lifetime warranty.

Where are you in the world? There are companies out there that can fix it, or you can have a go yourself, however I would advise against that unless you have knowledge of what you are doing.

If it was a gloss, it would be a lot easier to rub back and fix, however satin matte's are a PITA to match and blend in. It can be done, but I would advise professionally.

Regards

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.