Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to clean the rim and pads for v-brakes?

I was away from my MTB for about a year and before riding it I cleaned the rims using iso alcohol. I'm getting a howling/honking when I brake hard with the front brake. The braking also stutters slightly. It uses KoolStop pads. I wonder if the pads are dirty, but I don't know the best way to clean them. Is sanding/filing them appropriate? I cleaned the rims on my wife's bike the same way and they're super quiet and smooth, but it uses different v-brakes.

Thanks.

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts

I was away from my MTB for about a year and before riding it I cleaned the rims using iso alcohol. I'm getting a howling/honking when I brake hard with the front brake. The braking also stutters slightly. It uses KoolStop pads. I wonder if the pads are dirty, but I don't know the best way to clean them. Is sanding/filing them appropriate? I cleaned the rims on my wife's bike the same way and they're super quiet and smooth, but it uses different v-brakes.

Thanks.
Wipe off the pads, then clean with alcohol. If they are too much solid dirt on them, slightly filed them. They will get dirty again anyway, so wiping off is the best way after cleaning and filing... I run v-brake all winter long and simply rinse the rims and pads with water and no problem.

David

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
"clean" rims can cause noisey brakes. You need to re bed the brakes which puts a layer of brake material onto the rims. Same reason wet rims make a noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks.
try to clean it with soft water with shampoo before putting an alcohol!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.