Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
i have been told not to use WD-40 as it makes the seals expand, can any one clarify this? (not that i was using it, my friend was as a quick lubricant as were running dry while out on the trails, some one advised him not to so he didn't in the end)

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
You don't need cleaning solutions. Let the mud dry, then wipe off with a rag. Lube the seals and stantions by just putting a drop or two of chain lube on the seals then compress your fork, wipe off exess oil with same rag.
If you insist on cleaning solutions try Pedro's or Simple Green. Pedro's can be found at your local bike shop, Simple Green can be found anywhere.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
soapy water and a rag.
if you want to use a solution, any de-greaser would be fine. i use sram pitstop since i have that laying around.

bxxer rider said:
i have been told not to use WD-40 as it makes the seals expand, can any one clarify this? (not that i was using it, my friend was as a quick lubricant as were running dry while out on the trails, some one advised him not to so he didn't in the end)
and another addition to your list of stupid comments.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
WD-40 is horrible for your bike, and I'll quote someone's signature for the explanation of WD-40: WD Stands for Water Displacement, and 40 is the person's IQ who is using it on their bike. (Whomever wrote it, take credit for it...)

Cleaning stanchions is easy...just wipe them off. If you feel the need to get really extreme, what I did with my old Sherman Slider was I took a syringe, filled it with Semi-Bath Oil for Manitou Forks, and put a bead of oil around the seals, cycled the travel a few times and let it sit. Make sure you let it dry though, cause otherwise if you go riding right after you do this dust will stick to your stanchions even more.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Raptordude said:
WD-40 is horrible for your bike, and I'll quote someone's signature for the explanation of WD-40: WD Stands for Water Displacement, and 40 is the person's IQ who is using it on their bike. (Whomever wrote it, take credit for it...)
yeah i remember seeing that once, so what do you use on your chains if you don't have sh!t loads of money to buy the muc-off chain cleaner and chain lube?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
DHGnaR said:
...Let the mud dry, then wipe off with a rag.....
what's the logic behind that? :confused: why not simply hose it while it's still mud? sure beats 'sanding' your stanchions...unless there's something i missed..maybe i'll try washing my 4runner that way:rolleyes:
also, fwiw, i use silicone spray, cycle the fork a few times, then wipe off the 'goober-ring'.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
brillantesdv said:
last time i remember, chain lube was like 3 bucks.

guess it must be hard to buy stuff with your allowance from mom and dad
okay non of the shops near me do chain lube as far as i know

right my dad does not live with us any more, my mum does not pay for ANY THING i pay for it all my self, got a problem? besides us in the real world call it pocket money

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Raptordude said:
You say your local bike shop doesn't have chain lube?

That's almost as ridiculous as saying that you can't afford chain lube.
okay they dont have any on show, but if i ask they probably do (they sell stuff like e-13 when there not suppose to)

and yes i really am that skint at the moment, just bought a custom made 9 cell nimh 5000 mah battery from the U.S. (blooming exchange rate)

EDIT: can i also point out this convention is probably not helping specializedbeta18 in the slightest.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
For cleaning your stanctions use a little Zippo lighter fluid and a folded paper towel wrapped around the tube and work it under the seal, work your way around the seal to get all the crud out. The lighter fluid evaporates and leaves an oily film which is all you need to prevent corrosion.

I also use Zippo lighter fluid to lube my chain in the winter, it cleans the chain as you douse it and leaves just enough lubricant behind to stop corrosion. Do it after every ride to get the crud and water off the chain. I just use an old towel to wipe off the excess and particulates. Since it is so thin your chain won't bind up in cold weather like an oil will, we get -40C weather here and I have tried all kinds of oil products but they all get too thick at those low temps.

If your interested in saving money barbeque starter fluid is the same stuff and you can refill your Zippo lighter fluid bottle after you pry off the top cap. The Zippo container has a nice sized nozzle which is perfect for spraying the chain as you rotate the cranks.

I've also used kerosene as it contains more oily distilates but its smelly.

·
Registered
612 Posts
bxxer rider said:
okay non of the shops near me do chain lube as far as i know

right my dad does not live with us any more, my mum does not pay for ANY THING i pay for it all my self, got a problem? besides us in the real world call it pocket money
You've got some pathetic bike shops of they do not sell chain lube :nono:

Just pay the $15 for a bottle of chain lube and a bottle of simple green. A 1oz bottle of dumonde tech lube lasts me at least a couple of months (riding almost every day) and I've been using the same bottle of simple green for longer than I can remember.

·
Registered
612 Posts
highdelll said:
what's the logic behind that? :confused: why not simply hose it while it's still mud? sure beats 'sanding' your stanchions...unless there's something i missed..maybe i'll try washing my 4runner that way:rolleyes:
also, fwiw, i use silicone spray, cycle the fork a few times, then wipe off the 'goober-ring'.
If you are careful, the mud will flake right off the stantions. There is no one "right" way to clean them, do whatever suits you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
C S said:
You've got some pathetic bike shops of they do not sell chain lube :nono:

Just pay the $15 for a bottle of chain lube and a bottle of simple green. A 1oz bottle of dumonde tech lube lasts me at least a couple of months (riding almost every day) and I've been using the same bottle of simple green for longer than I can remember.
there really is only one bike shop, noah's ark (link) and no it is not a boat ;) , link to show i am not just talking sh!t which i think most of you think i am. well there are other bike shops, but their sorry excuses for bike shops, halfords for example are like a toys "r" us but for cars and crap bikes (Apollo's and stuff)

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
bxxer rider said:
there really is only one bike shop, noah's ark (link) and no it is not a boat ;) , link to show i am not just talking sh!t which i think most of you think i am. well there are other bike shops, but their sorry excuses for bike shops, halfords for example are like a toys "r" us but for cars and crap bikes (Apollo's and stuff)
Noah's is quite a decent shop as far as it's internet business goes, so I'd be surprissed if they are as bad ayou make out. As for Halfords, they may sell sh!t bits and chavtastic fast 'n furious crap for small boys with small cars, but their own brand lubes and bike cleaning pruducts are OK. Even Tescos sells reasonable lubes and cleaners.

Rather than just posting when ever you recognise some words on the screen, just listen / watch for a bit. You may learn something. At the moment you are rapidly p1ssing everyone off. I'm not having a go for the fun of it, I mean that in the nicest possible way.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.