Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I basically wipe them off any chance I get. They always have seal marks up and down them but im not sure if its an abnormal amount. They are a brand new set of sr suntour raidon air forks. Is it normal for any fork to have black marks all over the stanchions from what I assume to be the seal?

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
When you stop seeing them is when I would start to worry. That would likely indicate that the lubricant under the dust seals is gone. The black marks are lubricant right? Probably mixed with a bit of dirt?

·
Registered
553 Posts
No, you should wipe them off after every ride with a clean cloth. You might need to post a pic of what you're talking about for us to judge whether or not something isn't right.

·
Trail Ninja
6,168 Posts
I wipe my fork even during my ride. I don't trust the seals to keep all of the dust totally out. Don't need the bath oil turning into sludge. Figure this justifies going longer between service.

By black marks, you mean something like this, right? (images owned by bikerumor.com)

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,601 Posts
To me that looks excessive...almost looks like a blown seal, or maybe the Formula's allow alot of blow by....

I wipe my fork even during my ride. I don't trust the seals to keep all of the dust totally out. Don't need the bath oil turning into sludge. Figure this justifies going longer between service.

By black marks, you mean something like this, right? (images owned by bikerumor.com)

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
The damper in the Raidon is a sealed unit on one side. So you are seeing grease mixed with dirt, just wipe it off.
Call Nick at Suntour NA for more info, he is very helpful and rides a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts