Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Maybe let it air dry, before adding the butter. You don't want to leave water in there, in case you ride in freezing temps.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Well...

Nikhil42 said:
How do I spot the pivots? And can you seriously use butter?
I would look for the moving parts of the DR. When you find them, by definition, you'll have found the pivots.

Sure you can use butter. You can also use super glue. I wouldn't use either one though.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Ken in KC said:
I would look for the moving parts of the DR. When you find them, by definition, you'll have found the pivots.

Sure you can use butter. You can also use super glue. I wouldn't use either one though.
Hmm,, super-glue - now there's an idea for those going to a 1x9...not need to fiddle w/ those finicky limit screws!!

OP - In all seriousness, I use a silicone spray for all my bits like derailleur pivots, lever bushings, shifter mechanisms etc. It lubricates well for those types of joints and doesn't attract dust/grime as easy as oils/greases which are required for more 'abusive' friction areas (I know there's a better word/term ;)). I also use silly-cone for my stanchions from time to time.:thumbsup:

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
highdelll said:
OP - In all seriousness, I use a silicone spray for all my bits
Oh yeah, i definitely use silicone spray on my bits, but we're talking about derailleur pivots.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I don't have a front derailer on any of my three bikes now, but I'd use something else than butter ... unless that is all I had around the house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.