Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 05 Specialized Epic with a blue anodized frame. Anyone have any tips on getting the frame clean? I used simple green and a clean rag and it dried with some noticeable dirt streaks. I like to maintain my bikes and keep them clean. Any suggestions anodized frame owners???????

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Stay away from degreasers unless your cleaning a severely gunked part like a neglected cassette (that's been removed from the wheel)..

You should be able to clean a frame while its dry by brushing off the dirt with a rag. If its clay like mud that can't be removed this way then just use a spray bottle with hot water or a backyard hose w/out the nozzle. Don't spray pressurized water anywhere near bearings, headsets..etc...

I'd bet there's no issue w/ simple green messing w/ ano, but the stuff isn't ph neutral and will weaken exposed aluminum. A chain soaking in simple green will weaken given time.

Anyways, degreasers have a tendency to spread the dirt around (as you've found).. and just make things messy. Use the degreasers to break down tenacious grease. There's no reason to use degreasers on dirt.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
I have a shower in my basement for cleaning bikes. No high pressure water, just hot, with a soapy brush, and my bikes are spotless. When I was in college I used the shower in my dorm with no ill effects (to the shower or the bike) just make sure to lube the chain when you're done. Your mom or wife might object, so wait till they're not home, and wash the mud down the drain. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I had the same question and after cleaning my bike 3 times it still isn't as nice as when it was new. The first time, I only used water and let the bike dry => horrible mud stains. The 2nd time, I used soapy water with a brush and wiped the complete bike with a dry cloth => still stains, albeit less visible. Then I used a petroleum based product, didn't improve much. Maybe I should use a special bike-wash product?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Finish Line Bike Wash

I use Finish Line Bike Wash on my 04 Stumpy Pro and it looks good as new. The Black Ano Frame has a rich look after washing and I've never noticed any streaks. Its great for touch ups too, just spray it on and wipe it clean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
STUMPJUMPER FSR said:
I use Finish Line Bike Wash on my 04 Stumpy Pro and it looks good as new. The Black Ano Frame has a rich look after washing and I've never noticed any streaks. Its great for touch ups too, just spray it on and wipe it clean.
I second that! Same bike, same bike wash. Great results!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.