Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DOGMEAT WALL OF FAME (no dab Dogmeat climb Dec. 2010- May 2011)

1) Dopaminer_09
2) ask
3) Squashyo
4) Diesel (also in the summer no less...stud)
5) Plymmer
6) pmarshall
11 or more) Beers on me at undecided location...probably top of St. Joe's or Kennedy, Los Gatos.

I finally did it! Climbed Dogmeat (Los Gatos...backside of Kennedy) without stopping. That is one tough grind. I tried this a couple times back in the day but failed...probably because the conditions need to be just right. Anyhow, pretty stoked.

So, anyone who makes this climb in December 2010 to May 2011 without a dab will get their handle posted on the Dogmeat Wall of Fame and I might even buy you a beer. Code of honor on this one but go for it.

Happy holidays all
http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/60442549

Attachments

·
user
1,060 Posts
Nice! That is a painful climb and conditions do need to be right. I've only made is a couple times without a dab or spinning out completely on that last steep ascent. Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow if the dirt looks dry enough.

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey congrats! I actually accomplished this same feat for the first time last Monday. I've been up Dogmeat probably 4-5 times, and pretty much thought I would never clean it, because the last climb always got me and just seemed so damn long and steep. But last week, with good traction, cool temps, and some recent dabbling in long road rides and climbs, the stars all aligned themselves. I was pretty stoked!

squashyo said:
I finally did it! Climbed Dogmeat (Los Gatos...backside of Kennedy) without stopping. That is one tough grind. I tried this a couple times back in the day but failed...probably because the conditions need to be just right. Anyhow, pretty stoked.

So, anyone who makes this climb in December 2010 or any of 2011 without a dab will get there handle posted on the Dogmeat Wall of Fame and I might even buy you a beer. Code of honor on this one but go for it.

Happy holidays all

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
For the love of everything that is right in the world, please tell me you used the lightweight ASR and not the heavy Yeti or Bullit? That is an impressive feat and I have never attempted it before. Just going down it I can tell how damm steep it would be coming back up. I will try it soon maybe after another rain. I have cleared the last walls on the front side of Kennedy in the middle ring these last two times. It is only due to awesome soil conditions- no spin outs. Good job man!

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
squashyo said:

So, anyone who makes this climb in December 2010 or any of 2011 without a dab will get there handle posted on the Dogmeat Wall of Fame and I might even buy you a beer. Code of honor on this one but go for it.

Happy holidays all
Way to go man. You are a true all rounder like me. Riding DH, DJ'ing and climbing all in one week is a good time to me but so many of my friends only do one or the other.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Next thing you know, you will be building Climbing trails ;)

·
Newt Guy
833 Posts
What is the approximate/average/max grade and how long is it sustained?

Looks interesting. I might have a chance to try it out when I get out for a few days in a few months.

:thumbsup:

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
FrostyStruthers said:
What is the approximate/average/max grade and how long is it sustained?

Looks interesting. I might have a chance to try it out when I get out for a few days in a few months.

:thumbsup:
Eleventy eleventy average grade, too damned long!

Congrats Squashy, that is a feat!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'll give it a go tomorrow. I haven't gone up dogmeat in years, just down.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I went up St. Joes to Powerpole and up Dogmeat from there. It's the last three walls that are killers...especially the very last one. It's long and relentless coming at you when legs and lungs are close to spent. The only saving grace are minor relief spots after each big wall and fairly tacky dirt. Phew!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Wow, well done. I've tried it (and failed) once in 2007 and decided never again. But maybe with the Carbon Blur I'll give it another shot some day. Next time make it up the walls at Rollercoaster as well in one ride and, according to TahoeBC, a nice treat awaits you in the afterlife .Hill Climb Wednesday up Dogmeat

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
This starting to sound like RBR..... average grade???? do we even know what that means in mtb biking? o_O

Francois, looks like time to start a hillclimb thread on the norcal mtbr board.

·
user
1,060 Posts
Cleared it...

It wasn't fast or pretty... but I cleared Dogmeat and the rollers on the top of Kennedy non-stop. I almost went non-stop from the bottom of Overgrown, but I dabbed once after my back kicked out on an especially wet/rocky section at the top of Overgrown. I actually think Overgrown was harder to climb than the rollers today.

The conditions on the top section of Dogmeat and the rollers were perfect for climbing. The lower section of Dogmeat and Overgrown were not ideal.

Happy holidays all.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ask said:
It wasn't fast or pretty... but I cleared Dogmeat and the rollers on the top of Kennedy non-stop. I almost went non-stop from the bottom of Overgrown, but I dabbed once after my back kicked out on an especially wet/rocky section at the top of Overgrown. I actually think Overgrown was harder to climb than the rollers today.

The conditions on the top section of Dogmeat and the rollers were perfect for climbing. The lower section of Dogmeat and Overgrown were not ideal.

Happy holidays all.

Dude...seriously awesome. I rode Kennedy and up roller coaster today and the coaster section with Dogmeat seems unbelievably hard. Well done for sure!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I failed. Spun out on the last climb. $#%!!!. I'm going back later this week.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Dogmeat on a SS ?

Ran into Squashyo today on the trails. Well didn't do it this month but made it in January on My 6 speed right before turning it into a SS. Who has done it without daubing on a singlespeed?

·
Natural body armor
2,177 Posts
ancient rascal said:
Ran into Squashyo today on the trails. Well didn't do it this month but made it in January on My 6 speed right before turning it into a SS. Who has done it without daubing on a singlespeed?
Maybe if you run 32x32...

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Someone has done it.

I have a really light Lynskey SS set up with 32 x 19 or 1.68 to one. I tried it a few months ago and didn't get very far. A 32 x22 ratio would have a better chance. Bet there is someone out there who has done it the hard way with 2 to 1 full blown SS. A 32 X16......34X17 ?/?:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 219 Posts