Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I already have them removed to put my new fork on but idk if I should clean them and re-grease them or just leave them be and avoid the headache of losing one of the balls.
If it is was me and I already had the fork off I would clean everything and re-grease the bearings. If you are worried about losing parts do the disassembly over a plastic tub or something similar to catch any small parts that may accidentally fall out.

Better to do it now before biking season is in full swing.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Since when did mountain bikes have loose ball bearings in the headset? If you're talking about disassembling sealed bearings and greasing them, why would you want to do that unless they are noticeably rough? Sealed bearings rarely need to be greased - I've never taken apart a sealed bearing and never had a reason to. Back in the olden days I used to grease my headset on my BMX bike but those bearings weren't sealed. (They also weren't loose balls either so it was no big deal).

·
Magically Delicious
12,470 Posts
Anytime something is disassembled to that point, take the time to perform preventative maintenance and lubricate. It's an invitation and an opportunity to gets things done correctly. Don't compromise on a simple task. Don't be feared...just do it. You might learn something.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
^^^What the last 2 posts said.^^^ If the sealed bearings are rough or notchy, replace them. Otherwise, wipe them off, likewise the races and all parts and surfaces concerned. Then regrease and reassemble.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If it were me...
New Fork install...I would get a New Head Set too and if you have a open ball type now..good opertunity to upgrade to a sealed bearing type. Don't you need a lower race for the new fork anyway? Not wanting to remove and re-use the lower race is another reason I would get a new head set...
Just saying.my new fork was not cheep and another 40-60 bucks for a quality headset to match your new fork... DONE Doit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.