Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
950 Posts
I haven't seen a hite-rite since my steel Trek Singletrack of 1988! That is a "classic" picture for sure.

Hey Bigwheel, I have a Ringle water bottle cage if you want to up the ante on retro components! :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
wow

That brooks looks well broken in! Do you even use a chamois with that one?

That takes me back a few years.

Why did we all take the QRs off our seat clamps, and ditch our hite rites at the same time? And why oh why did we get rid of all our ano? It costs so much to buy it all back now!

Ken

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
What's a hite rite?

I've always had a qr on my saddle. It's nice because it releases quickly. Before I got a yak rak I had to do that to get it in my car.

-M

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I do believe that's the first I've heard of a real mountain biker using a Schlumpf. I've always wondered if there's any noticeable drag while pedaling in the "mountain" setting. Seems like a cool idea, though the 1:2.5 reduction always seemed like a bit more than I'd need.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
mikesee said:
What better way to compliment a 5 x 5 Behemoth with dual 8" rotors and a Schlumpf Mountain Drive?

How 'bout a purple ano qr, a Brooks saddle, and a Hite Rite?

Classic Bigwheel...

MC
WOW ! That's great...I havn't seen one of those Hite Rite's for years. Retro ! yeah, I like it.. :thumbsup:

R.

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Love it

I'm all for the bicycle as freakshow thing. My first "real" mtb a Breezer Lightning came with a hite -rite installed. That thing is such a good idea, and real simple too. Of course that was back when people rode the same bike up AND down hills, so adjusting the seat quickly and simply was a reasonable idea. I still have it (the hite-rite, the bike got stolen).

Adam

·
This place needs an enema
16,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GlowBoy said:
I do believe that's the first I've heard of a real mountain biker using a Schlumpf. I've always wondered if there's any noticeable drag while pedaling in the "mountain" setting. Seems like a cool idea, though the 1:2.5 reduction always seemed like a bit more than I'd need.
Yes, there is noticable drag in the reduction gear. Not enough to make Bob want anything else, but it felt (to me) like I was pedaling under water.

MC

·
Registered
219 Posts
There was a photo of (think it was Greg Herbold?) an industry 'back in the day racer now test pilot for big manufacturer' dudes bike in (think it was singletrackworld) one of the mags recently - full 6" pluss travel bike, new test singlecrown 6" or bigger forks etc, and a hite rite! Nice... I've always been intrigued by the gravity dropper and maverick speedball posts, can't get the speedball in 27.2 though and the gravity is heavy and ugly!

ian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.