Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blast from the past

I just thought I resurrect this thread

I owned this bike from maybe late 98 to about 2001 - I traded it in with my LBS and one of my mates bought it. I've been after it back and I picked it up just after xmas.

Riding it again and it's still as much fun as a I remember - but the fox 36's are as good as the double crown forks I used to have on.

It's weird - this used to be a DH bike and now it's 'just' an endure bike...

afterburner.jpg

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
I just thought I resurrect this thread

I owned this bike from maybe late 98 to about 2001 - I traded it in with my LBS and one of my mates bought it. I've been after it back and I picked it up just after xmas.

Riding it again and it's still as much fun as a I remember - but the fox 36's are as good as the double crown forks I used to have on.

It's weird - this used to be a DH bike and now it's 'just' an endure bike...

View attachment 1051078
That is a sweet bike! I had an afterburner DH and used it more in a trail/AM capacity. Loved it. You're right, the slack angles low BB of the past are now middle of the road Enduro geometry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FTW built '04/'05 Turner Full Time Function "Burner"

I do believe this is the uber rare FTW 3.6" DH rocker in hear mint condition. And I got it on what I think is a gen 1 '94, or '95 FTW built Turner Full Time Function AKA "Burner".

Came with original Fox 4R ALPS shock, XTR M900 combo shifters, and M950 brakes, M950 front and rear derailleurs.

But, there is some bad news also. Somebody cut the center-pull brake cable holders off the frame and fork. My theory on why they cut them off is that I think they put the M950 brakes on it when it was new and had no use for the cable holders. I believe the M950 brakes were just coming out right around when this would have been built.

I haven't positively identified the fork yet. I can tell it's got magnesium parts by where they cut the brake cable holder off. It has a crown that attaches to the steering stem via double pinch-bolt, as well as the fork stanchions. I don't recognize the adjuster caps on the forks either. Came with Ringle Gorilla brake stiffener.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lots of great bikes here!

My (1996?) XC project is nearing completion...

Frame off of ebay...

All new bushings and seals for the rear-end (Turner still sells them :) )

Cleaned and Scotch-Brited the frame, added new tires, Dual Duty wheels, crank, fork, bars, brakes (mullet style), stem, cassette, derailluer, etc

Turner still offers replacement "Turner" decals and the head badge too!

Just waiting for a Cane Creek Cloud 9 rebuild kit

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
814 Posts
Looks like that frame was never ridden or at least hardly used. Sweet!
I rode with a guy back in 1997 that had one and that is the frame that made me want a Turner. Took me 6 years and never regretted it!
Enjoy

O-well I thought I had quotes but I didn't.........

·
Rippin da fAt
8,260 Posts
Now all are plastico...
Still have a 96 XCE, 98 Stinger and 06 Sixpack. All are in excellent condition and rideable. Stinger is stupid light and still a fun bike.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts