61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Here's what could start a possible outline:

1. DT's MX experience.
2. Move to and experience with AMP
3. Interim
4. Meeting with Sherwood Gibson/advent of Turner Bicycles.
5. Design process and invention of the rocker link and sealed bushing system.
6. Industry collaborations (Kona, Mongoose, etc.).
7. Racing.
8. Stinger design.
9. Move to Ca.
10. Advent of the 5 Spot design.
11. Nitrous design and testing and Geoff Kabush's record
12. Experimental Turners

All throughout, development and builds of specific bikes could be placed in there. Maybe even some blueprints and manufacturing photos?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
heres a old thread callin for pics and info on all things turner for a detailed timeline:

lemme start by sayin I DONT WANT PICS OR INFO ON THIS THREAD! PM ME WITH INPUT PLEASE! all this is is a call to those interested in helpin out with a cool idea. ok? ok.

ive talked to dt at length about a super sticky turner timeline. hes totally in! thinks its a killer idea and wants to see it done. we provide the pics and he will write a paragraph on each design incarnation explaining its birth, design idea and such. im willin to put in the time to make it somethin to see but ill need some help compileing the pics and data as well as a suitable format for the thread, so i call those with pics, info and expertise to make this happen.

again please oh gawd please DONT RUIN THE SUPRISE AND START POSTIN PICS OR INFO ON THIS THREAD! PM ME INSTEAD! all this is is a call to those interested and willin to participate.

and heres a freshly updated rehash of my mini-turner timeline:

ok kids, heres the real deal. well at least some of it.

the original production burner was made in '95 and can be seen in the 1st pic. its the one in back with the red bits and had a bridge from the down tube to the seat tube supporting the lower shock mount. it had 2.75" of travel but a 3.6" rocker was made for the d/h crowd and can be seen in the 2nd pic. they were a hard part to find at the time and as far as i know was not produced after '95. production of the burner ended in '98, being replaced by the o2 in '99 but was reintroduced in '02 i think and ran through '04 when it was once again replaced, this time with the '05 flux. edit: if ya look close, ya can see a small gusset wrapped around the botom of the headtube to the downtube in the first pic. this factory mod was done to fix cracks that developed on frames that were bein raced in d/h events such as this one.

the 2nd year burner was produced in '96 and had a machined section supporting the shock, b/bkt and swingarm. this was done to reduce weight and increase lateral stiffness as well as provide better allignment of the chassis, not to cure breakage as mentioned before. the only serious breakage issue was in the headtube area which was cured also in '96 with a substancial gusset. both these mods can be seen in pic 1 on the bike with the blue bits and also more clearly in the 2nd pic . edit: it also got a new, stronger headtube.

the xce was introduced in the '98 model year and was made through '02 like the one in the 3rd pic. it used the same rocker geometry as the 3.6" burner rocker but was made much lighter and stronger. in '99 it got a 4" rocker. this chassis stayed basically the same till its demise in '03 i think when it was replaced by the 5 spot.

other notable turners. my notes and those of mk and nick3216 show this all to be accurate. anything im not pretty sure of has a "(?)" following the date in question:

Original Turner - '93. --------------- a short travel soft tail he brought to mammoth for the classic kamikaze manufacturers d/h race and won with. only 1 made (?).
Twin Turner - '96 (?). --------------- a 3.6” burner tandam if you will. only 1 was made by sportech for dt and his ex. it now lives in the uk and is still ridden.
Stinger - '98 - '01. --------------------- just shy of 3". cancelled due to propriatary shock issues. way cool bike if ya ask me.
Burner D/H - '97. ---------------------- 3.6". a stepping stone to the afterburner.
Afterburner - '98 - '99. -------------- a great 7" d/h bike but not good enough.
DHR - '00 (officially) - present. - 7.6" originaly. replaced the afterburner and has been refined through the years. now a 8.5" bike.
02 - '99 - '02. ---------------------------- a super light 3.1" version of the burner.
RFX - '98 - '02. ------------------------- maybe the first semi unbreakable 5" freeride frame known. made with 6" in '00 on. shut down due to low sales.
5 Spot - '03 - present. -------------- turners best selling frame. the perfect trail bike?
6 Pack / RFX - '04 - present. ---- a pure work horse, do it all frame now re badged as the re born "RFX". xc and big hucks, heres yer ride.
Flux - '05 - present. ----------------- weeeeeeeee! the new burner? hardly! a way better unit with faster geometry. lighter too! xc and epic ride fun here.
Nitrous - '05 - present. ------------- skinny assed xc racers only need apply. land based speed mobile.
Highline - '06 - present. ----------- the new mega huck platform built for and tested by folks who go huge. really, really huge.

who built my turner? this should answer yer basic questions. over time i may add to this with some detailed info on each:

"94 - --------------- Ventana built the 1st 150 turner's, later to be dubbed the burner my mountain bike action. quality work spured growing sales leading to a new vendor.
'95 - ---------------- FTW (frank the welder). frank waddington, one of the first big named welders for hire in the industry, welded the early barracuda's, yeti's and turners's.
'96 - '02 - --------- Sportech took the burner and its offspring to new levels of performance, quality and innovation with features like the machined b/bkt assembly.
'03 - present - - SAPA now makes the entire line with in house tubesets and others comming from different vendors depending on the model, all from the usa.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Bad call cc. It's an '02. ;) As I understand one of the last batch produced before DT flipped the link, increased the travel and went to the 1.5 headtube for the 03s.

It's also a large, hence the scaffolding-esque seat tower compared to xcspeeds orange beauty.

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
dualdirtman said:
cactuscorn

that is an 02 DHR not a 00
i own a 00. it has removable shock mounts on the main frame

this

is a 00 DHR
my bad. thanx for the save guys. both are beauties!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
OLD BUT FUN...... TILL IT BROKE (RIP) :thumbsup: 97 OR 98 not sure. So many great rides and almost 10 years for this sweet burner . LOVED THIS BIKE! ..... the flux I ride now is even BETTER.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
History wall

Cobbled this together, this is the resting place of the Misser Brothers downhill Turner/Kona,Schwinn,Yeti and Klein frames.

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
ahhhh yes, when dh courses were babys ass smooth, speeds were blindingly fast, brakes were miserably under engineered and all we wore was dinner dress length lycra. the stab was a damn fine deal at the time but "competetive with the pros" of the day? not so much.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
A fine resurection of a thread this is

There are many many past fine models of Turner bikes. The whole time I trailed behind the THC in Moab on Porc (paranoia taking front seat, not the bike) I wondered what the Turner Horde would have thought if they had decided to swap bikes with me. They then would have been riding a low-miles 2004 Burner with XR Rockers, PUSHed RP3 and a 2007 Revelation that, along with the shock, had maybe 7 miles on it. I love this bike now (after the tweaks) and I probably will keep it forever. 27 lbs, plush, what seems like more than 4" in back, a great trailbike. Here it is last Spring sporting a Reba and the previous PUSHed Float RL, overlooking the scenery at the start of the climb up Top of The World (a trail that the THC should consider in future THCs). This is my desktop on my other computer.

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
nice dave! its cool to see the o2 represented here and even cooler to see the old bikes upgraded and kept alive. i saw those at the show in '00 and was ready to trade in the burner at 1st sight but never did. i just have 1 question. does yer girlfriend know ya took her seat?

·
Viva Las Peli Taco
251 Posts
cactuscorn said:
nice dave! its cool to see the o2 represented here and even cooler to see the old bikes upgraded and kept alive. i saw those at the show in '00 and was ready to trade in the burner at 1st sight but never did. i just have 1 question. does yer girlfriend know ya took her seat?

Your so funny, it's my wife's bike. I built it up as new rider friendly as possible. It has the DT Swiss 9mm front and 10mm rear axles, XCE rockers, 100mm Reba Race, comfortable seat, etc...

Since she's so small I could go with fairly light components with no fear she'd could break anything.

So far her riding and confidence have improved by leaps and bounds... a good bike can do that.

Dave

61 - 80 of 117 Posts