Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's talk about rims...

I just wondered what you guys have as favorite classic rims??

What rims did/do you like, for what reason and so on... More also; which one did you not like and why??

Bring up your thoughts!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Jeroen said:
Let's talk about rims...

I just wondered what you guys have as favorite classic rims??

What rims did/do you like, for what reason and so on... More also; which one did you not like and why??

Bring up your thoughts!
I can't get my hands on enough Mavic M231 CD's...a great all around rim. Heavy enough to be strong, but not a complete tank. Great for my Tension Disc's!

I didn't care for some Sun Mistral's I had...the one set I had split as the seam. Some of my Araya RM17's didn't ware to good either.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I agree on the 231's. I still have a set that I commute on occasionally. They have held up very well for a long time.

I really disliked the set of Araya RM20's that my first real mountain bike came with. They were the first mass-produced welded rim. Instead of machining the sidewall to give a good even braking surface, the welds were rather crudely ground down. Some sets were supposed to be pretty good and there were some lemons. I had lemons. Anytime the brake pads hit the weld, they would grab harder all of a sudden. They were pretty strong for the time and I think they got better as for getting the welds ground down well, but the early ones sucked.

cheers

·
acoustic motorbike
168 Posts
217s and 231s are all I have ever ridden. Love them both. I still use a set of the ti-dye 217s on my Wicked. Beautiful hoops.

doug

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Heartily agree with the 217's

Though I've had great luck with Mavic 117's as well. Really, can't say I've ever had bad luck with any mavic rim.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What have you folks been smoking??? I want some...

neveride said:
Though I've had great luck with Mavic 117's as well. Really, can't say I've ever had bad luck with any mavic rim.
Quite simply old Mavics sucked...mainly because they did not have the stamping technology for their eyelets down and the friggin eyelets always came loose. This is a fact the SUP 217 was just about the worse. The Bontrager rims were also bad - mainly strength though great single season rim - plenty light 'tho and very trick along with Deetz rims.

Now, what was good Ritchey surprisingly made very good rims especially the early vantage...the Araya RM-20 was just about industructable, and of course my all time favorite the Trek Singletrack Matrix, best rim section, tires would not roll off of it and wheels using the Trek could be built up super strong...problem was they weighed what????????? 550 grams.

VTW

·
acoustic motorbike
168 Posts
victorthewombat said:
...the SUP 217 was just about the worse.
Worst? I have been running the same 2 sets of 217s since 1997 and they have never been retrued or needed to be heavily tuned. Collectively, they have more than trail 3,500 miles on them. Maybe you needed a better wheel builder. ;)

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Rumpfy said:
I didn't care for some Sun Mistral's I had...the one set I had split as the seam. Some of my Araya RM17's didn't ware to good either.
I'd have to agree...

My only experience was with Sun rims was a set of CR7A rims and I can't say that I liked them much. The sidewalls were too narrow making pad adjustment tough.

I've always had good luck with Mavic and Bontrager rims. I've ridden mostly Bonty rims since '92 (BCRs, Mustangs, and Valiants) and have not had a bad rim to date.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
Araya RM-20

My first set of RM-20's were in '86 IIRC and that rim kicks freakin' arse!!! Many bikes, many miles and many RM-20's without any problems riding with Wojick in the middle '80's to the early '90's when I moved to Flagstaff. Sub 400 gram rim in the middle '80's!!!!
I went from RM-20's to 217 Ceramics and had more problems with the Mavics within the first 2 years than I ever had with the Arayas. The Mavics were built throught Wheelsmith.
The RM-25 was a wicked trials rim too with Fisher Fattracks 2.2"!!
Scoty

·
Registered
779 Posts
I can say that anything mavic sucked. well, i should say they worked well until the eyelets pull through the rim. they still have that problem.

the ritchey rims were light and worked well but they were just too light weight and bent easily.

the rm-20's were indestructable and they get my vote. not that i liked them greatly but at least they held up

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
banks said:
My first set of RM-20's were in '86 IIRC and that rim kicks freakin' arse!!! Many bikes, many miles and many RM-20's without any problems riding with Wojick in the middle '80's to the early '90's when I moved to Flagstaff. Sub 400 gram rim in the middle '80's!!!!
I went from RM-20's to 217 Ceramics and had more problems with the Mavics within the first 2 years than I ever had with the Arayas. The Mavics were built throught Wheelsmith.
The RM-25 was a wicked trials rim too with Fisher Fattracks 2.2"!!
Scoty
Ya, the RM-20s were bomb proof but were definitely not sub 400 grams! More like sub 500. Even the rolled down MA-40s and MA-2s by Bontrager didnt break 400.

RM 20s were designed by Charlie Cunningham for the WTB fans out there.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
Ya, the RM-20s were bomb proof but were definitely not sub 400 grams! More like sub 500. Even the rolled down MA-40s and MA-2s by Bontrager didnt break 400.

RM 20s were designed by Charlie Cunningham for the WTB fans out there.
I had good luck with the Ritchey Vantage rims as well. Made by Ukai. The seem wasnt always the smoothest though but good, light rims. For light rims they were probably the best in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
The MA-2s were close. I have a pair of unused Bonty cut down MA-2s and they're both 412g. Not too bad. The later Bonty rims were lighter still.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
laffeaux said:
The MA-2s were close. I have a pair of unused Bonty cut down MA-2s and they're both 412g. Not too bad. The later Bonty rims were lighter still.
The later Bontrager hoops youre talking about, are those the single wall Weinmans? Those look pretty light, but singlewall.

Another rim that comes to mind was the Specialized GX26 and GX23, I never used them personally but they were a cool rim that I never heard any complaints about...

Specialized used to be different. They seem kinda like a cheesy cookie cutter company nowadays, whereas in the early days they had a much better company image I think.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
The later Bontrager hoops youre talking about, are those the single wall Weinmans? Those look pretty light, but singlewall.
Yeah, the Bonranger Red Label rims were the lightest. Made by Weinmans - single wall and no eyelets. The two that I have come in at 368 and 371 grams.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Ritchey Vantage Pro or Campy Thor

My '92 Attitude was built up with the Vantage pros, and I still have that wheelset. Even though I was a hamfisted rider back then, they held up great! Campy made some bomber rims. Those old Thor's were pretty tough. Had good luck using those for guys that were hard on equipment.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I always liked the rolled down MA2/40 rims. Never had a problem at all. In fact, I've still got several sets still true to this day.

From a wheel builder's perspective, I always thought the Ritchey Vantage series built up nicely. The Trek SIngletrack Matrix rim was the rim we put under wheel abusers because they really were bomb proof.

The singlewall Bontragers did build up decent enough and are still on my Ibis. Personally, the fact that they are single wall doesn't bother me a whole lot since the overall design does exactly what a double wall does, but with material in the right place.

The Specialized GX23 was a decent rim, but always seemed a bit "soft."

There is one other rim that I never had a problem with - the Saturae X22. I still have the original set (hanging in my garage right now) from my Salsa built onto original Specialized hubs that have been through hell and high water on a fully loaded cross country trip with off road ventures over Geyser Pass in the La Sals, over Kebler Pass into CB and over Pearl Pass into Aspen - all fully loaded (did I already say that?). Hanging next to this set of wheels is another Saturae X22 set laced to Hi-E hubs - my "race" wheels back in the day. The X22's are another single wall rim that was one of the first performance rims of the day. Narrow, light and durable.

Campy made some really good building rims too, but they had a funky sidewall shape that made it difficult to get a good brake-to-rim contact.

Now-a-days, I like building wheels with WTB rims. Just seem to build up nicely.

·
Illuminati
1,729 Posts
231s generally a pretty good rim. tended to pull the eyelets out if you werent smooth tho.
the mavic MA40 was very tuff. shallow sidewall depth makes setting brake pads up a chore & fitting/ removing tyres can be quite stressful! dont ever try to fit a steelbead onza porc!

ta

scant

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
My Favs are Sun and Campy

I don't really like anything Sun has put out since about 1995 but their late 80's and early 90's rims were excellent. Light and very stong in my experience. Although as others have mentioned in other threads mounting certain brands of tires is quite a feat even with tire levers sometimes. Mistral, Chinook, CRE16 rims have all served me well.

And I have had great luck with Campagnolo rims as well. The brake surface is a bit different but I haven't had a problem setting them up. My Favoorites are Mirox. The Stheno's are pretty light at around 390-405 depending on rim are are pretty neat looking since they're highly polished. The ultimate Campy ATB rim is the Alpha XL though. I believe this was a cut down road rim ala Bontrager/Mavics. Weight was claimed at 350g. The one I have has been built its entire life so I havent had a chance to verify that.

I've had mixed experiemces with Mavics over the years but I would have to say the rim I've had the best luck with from them is the 231 line.

Ritchey rims...also excellent in my experience.

·
clueless
436 Posts
... ma40's my all time favourite followed by german made conbrio mt910, bontrager red labels, campy ateks and specialzed gx23.

modern rims i prefer rigida xc420css (best ceramic rim made to men), unfortunaltely discontinued. follower named grizzly css, haven't tried yet.
the new dt swiss rims.

real bad experience made with mavic 217's cd and ceramic, rm 20's, sun xc°...

ciao
flo

1 - 20 of 84 Posts