Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to start this thread for a while, so here it is. Being an avid muscle car enthusiast I have as much of a passion for cars as I do mountain biking. My dad has a 1966 Chevrolet El Camino. I'll give you a little (BIG) description of the car:

1966 Chevrolet El Camino Custom
Engine: Orginal 195hp 283 Small Block
Transmission: JW Performance Turbo 350, 2400rpm stall convertor
Paint: Madeira Maroon Metallic, an orginal paint color for 1966 El Caminos. The car was originally an uninspiring cameo beige
Interior: Two Tone Fawn, which is an original interior option that goes along extremely well with the Madeira Maroon paint
Build date: built in the second week of July, 1966 in Fremont, CA
Orginal Price: It was bought originally for $2,504 in 1966 and had been in the same family since my dad purchased it in 2000.
Wheels/Tires: 14" Cragar SS rims on BF Goodrich Radial T/As
Other things: It has the original smog pump, which was required by California state law on all Chevrolets in 1966. Most of these A.I.R. pumps have been removed from cars because they rob the engines of a little HP and they aren't seen as being very necessary. My dad kept it on the car because he wanted it to be as orginal as possible.

So, please take the time to tell me about your old muscle car, or if you don't have one, tell me about your dream ride! OLD MUSCLE CARS ONLY! Nothing newer than 1973!!

Thanks,
Andy

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
Mopar or no car - gTx was sold, road runner is still here. I have a 72 duster now also but no photos on this PC

Attachments

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
7.20s in the 1/8th, the Duster runs 8-somethings in drive it there and back mode.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Let's see, I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger, 340 4 speed, with the full rally package. It was an original plum crazy purple car, that some had painted over. I bought it as a project car, with some body damage and sold it because I was going to collage at the time and needed the money. I also has a 1972 Challenger, with a 318 auto, nothing real special, but I had a lot of good times in that car. Also had a 1971 Duster that was a 340 car, but had a 318 in it. Again, nothing special, but a lot of good times. I did have some modern muscle in the form of a1989 5.0 Mustang and a 1981 Mustang that would turn 10.20 at 132 mph in the quarter, but I'm not suppose to talk about those. :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
No classic Japanese or European? :(

Someday I want to collect all the pre-EJ Subarus (basically pre-90's). The newer North American Subarus lack any dual-range or off-road features that the classic Subarus had! What I REALLY want though, is a Subaru BRAT/Brumby.

As for muscle cars, I always wanted myself a Dodge Charger R/T (not the 4-door cop car thing) with a 4-speed manual, but I doubt I could considering the demand for muscle cars.

I grew up as a Mopar fan but somehow became a Subaru fan. My blind liking of Mopars, however, still lives on.

Oh, nice cars people! Don't think most are comfortable with fitting a bike rack on a muscle car though...

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,993 Posts
1969 Dodge Coronet 440
360 cid, lightly modified
Only time at the track 13.34

Attachments

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
I used to have a red '71 Mazda Rx2 2-door coupe. I don't have any digital pictures.

It was originally intended to be my work car when I purchased it for $850 back in about 1980. It all started out harmlessly enough, with just a pair of B60-13 sticky recaps on a spare set of steel wheels for weekly excursions to the drag strip. Then one thing led to another... It ended up being fairly successful in NHRA Division 6 Pro ET.

In 1990 I lost the car to a top end clutch explosion that just about cut the car in half. The NHRA rule book required an SFI-approved scatter shield only for vehicles that ran 11.99 or faster with a stick-shift and solid lifters. It ran mid-11s at about 110 mph with a 4-speed and a nearly stock 70 cubic inch 12A engine (RB header & intake manifold, 600 double-pumper Holley, and a small bridge done on my kitchen table), but it was able to pass tech without a scatter shield on a technicality, because rotary engines don't have lifters. I would have run one anyway, but there was no commercially available scatter shield available.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 1971 RS Camaro. This car was a mess when I bought it, took 2 years to make it drivable. It still needs paint someday and some work underneath.

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
my dream car is a '71 Chevelle with a 396

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
Nice Chevelle! I used to have a 72, Im almost ready to start looking for another, maybe one semi-built up, something I could add my own touches to, to use as a daily driver.
IMO, the 70-72 Chevelles are the best musclecars out there.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Man...I have always loved those 70-71 camaros! I have had a bunch of cars over the years (56 to be exact). Right now I have a 65 corvair corsa convertible which would be considered a classic, and then my bike hauler is my 91 Syclone. Not really a classic, but definitely a muscle truck. I never personally took it to the track, but the guy before me did and had a time slip in the high 12's. I have since blown that engine and on its second so who knows. They are very quick off the line, but a real maintenance headache to own.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I always wanted a Syclone! About 12 years ago I had an 86 IROC Camaro that I thought about swapping a Syclone engine I found into. Wish I would have, might have been pretty cool.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Nice Valiant..looks like some excellent factory buckets going on there. Slant 6 or V8? I recall my buddies 65 Dart GT with 273 and automatic with the jewel-looking shift-knob. I tend to really like the mid 60's cars best. As a kid I had a 63 Falcon sprint with a built 260 and 4 speed, and also a pretty nice 65 chevelle SS. The mid 60's cars were a little smaller, lighter and just seemed more agile than the later 60's and 70's cars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts