Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Classic Kuwahara MTB's

133K views 101 replies 74 participants last post by  TampaDave 
#1 ·
I've only seen one Kuwahara MTB from the mid 1980's, I was wondering if anyone had any pics they could share?

#38 ·
Hey guys, just stumbled across this thread in researching my recent kerbside cast off find. I don't know how much, if at all the Aussie models varied from other countries; but here's my "new" pride & joy

circa 1986 Kuwahara Aries. Dated according to Shimano date codes - need to cross check the frame serial number.

Considering it's nearly 25 years old, it seems pretty original and in reasonable and quite serviceable condition. These pics are as found. I initially thought it was some sort of tourer set up (which it would make good one I'm sure) but when I realised it didn't have braze ons for the rack it clicked what I had.

I have since pulled off the rack and the perished gum walls, but happily re-used the heavy thorn proof tubes as they still held air fine. Repacked the wheel bearings and cleaned the drivetrain.

Longer term plans, rebuild the wheels with stainless spokes, replace the headset with a better aged Kuwee example I have, replace surface rusted but otherwise functional cables and give the bars an Oxalic bath ;)

Beautifully lazy & comfy to ride. Itching to bomb some hills on it. Nothing too technical though I think :D

• ST (ctc) = 58cm
  • TT (ctc) = 59cm
  • wheelbase = 111cm (!!)
  • Sugino VP triple crank
  • Shimano Light Action RDL523 Rear Der.
  • Suzue solid axle, high flange hubs
(pics link through to slightly higher res versions)

#69 ·
Hey there folks! "Darned New Guy" here. I have come into a Kuwahara, and I started out to learn at least "what the heck is a Kuwu… Kawu… thingie?" I've found the basics, about the BMX bikes and some such, and by golly, here is a whole forum thread about their rare mountain bikes!

And I just read that I should be able to determine the year from the frame number. But I have either gone blind or stupid, because I cannot find a frame number. Where did they hide that?

It is a Kuwahara Ranger, with Suntour gearing - 18 speeds if the rear cogs are correct. The rear rim is Araya, but the front is not, so no telling. Scott handlebar, Aero cranks, original saddle on grooved post. Cantilever brakes, if I have learned that terminology correctly. 22" frame height.

I ought to have cleaned it up for the picture, but…. It looks quite functional, except the tires are two seconds away from exploding.

So… what do I have here?

#88 · (Edited)
Hey there folks! "Darned New Guy" here. I have come into a Kuwahara, and I started out to learn at least "what the heck is a Kuwu… Kawu… thingie?" I've found the basics, about the BMX bikes and some such, and by golly, here is a whole forum thread about their rare mountain bikes!

And I just read that I should be able to determine the year from the frame number. But I have either gone blind or stupid, because I cannot find a frame number. Where did they hide that?

It is a Kuwahara Ranger, with Suntour gearing - 18 speeds if the rear cogs are correct. The rear rim is Araya, but the front is not, so no telling. Scott handlebar, Aero cranks, original saddle on grooved post. Cantilever brakes, if I have learned that terminology correctly. 22" frame height.

I ought to have cleaned it up for the picture, but…. It looks quite functional, except the tires are two seconds away from exploding.

So… what do I have here?

I am only 8 years late... but hey, maybe someone else will find this helpful in the future.

The Kuwahara Ranger is found in their 1989 German Catalogue:
http://kuwahara-family.brieger.blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Kuwahara-1989.pdf

#75 ·
Hello again,
Kuwaharas seem to have grown on trees here back in the 1980s. Here is another one which followed me home earlier this week.
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

This one is a Mondia Cascade Cross. Interesting to contrast the masked paint transitions on this one with the fading paint on the previous Cascade Road I posted.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

For looks, bullmoose bar/stems always beat slingshot stems with separate bars. However, ergonomically, unless the bend of the bullmoose bar has been well positioned for upsweep, I find the opposite to be true.
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

If I am not careful, I will end up with two or three more over the next week. Help!
Enjoy,
The Kid

Reactions: unicrown junkie
#97 ·
#3 ·
Thy're out there and they are pretty nice. Usually chrome... and it seems like they are always in great shape. They made some great trials machines as well. They are below the radar of most collectors, but I'd snag one in a second. Too bad they didn't stay in the game.. what a missed opportunity with the name they had from BMX.

-Schmitty-

#9 ·
Here's mine..

Ringer said:
I've only seen one Kuwahara MTB from the mid 1980's, I was wondering if anyone had any pics they could share?
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=304648

Unfortunately the SS conversion was killed by some a_hole road rage driver, lucky for me the original stock '86 is still here.

I have been away a while, glad to see lots of threads...

cheers

dmc

#14 ·
I purchased this Kuwahara Sierra back in (about) 1987 or 1988 -- purchase price at the time was about $950 if memory serves me correctly (the Sierra XT model was a bit over $1100). I saved up for months and then waited for several weeks after ordering it before it arrived at my LBS. Ironically, I thought that this would be the last bike that I'd ever purchase (there's about 3 more bikes that I'd currently like to get).

The bike featured a quad-butted chromoly frame, Tange fork, Rolls seat, and full Shimano Deore components (at the time, Deore was a knotch up from LX -- Deore XT was at the top of the heap).

The bike is virtually stock except that I shortened the handlebars, added a Hite-rite (a popular accessory at the time), a Blackburn rear rack, and I changed the hand grips. It also used to have Specialized toe-clips. The bits of rust that have accumulated on the frame and components weren't stock either.

I rode (pounded) this bike hard for several years on and off road but it's been hardly ridden over the past 15 or so years. I've recently got back into cycling (bought a Kona Dew FS) and am currently planning to clean this old Kuwahara up a bit, add slicks and fenders, and convert it into a rainy weather commuter. The bike is still amazing solid and rides great.

-----