Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Lone Wolf McQuade
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brain is starting to hurt. I drive a 2006 Toyota Matrix XR and need to buy a hitch that will carry this tray type of bike rack;

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/hitch-racks/sportrider-hitch-rack.htm

Hollywood Racks is off for the holidays so I'm turning to the trusty MTBR boards for answers. :thumbsup:

With my two bikes I will be well under the 45lbs, per bike, that Hollywood Racks suggests not to exceed. My question is; With this rack and my two bikes, will I need a Class I or II hitch to hold it? I think the answer will be II because it will hold more tongue weight? There's about a $50 price difference between the Class I and II hitches........Thank you in advance for any information you can throw my way. Matt

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
second that...

cracksandracks.com said:
when in doubt go bigger........always.
spend the extra dough and forget about it. you don't want to load up to the limit and be worried every time you get on a rougher road, or hit a pothole.
do the biggest one your car allows. You can always get a shim to go from 2" to 1 1/4". My XPort rack actually came with it.

·
Lone Wolf McQuade
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a feeling I should go bigger just to be safe, thank you both for your replies. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
also say class 1 hitch. class 1 hitches are good enough for all the bikes you will install on it.

i use a class 1 hitch with 1.25" receiver on my accord and i hit PLENTY of potholes with my rack and i'm fine!
dont waste your money on big heavy pieces of metal that u dont need

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,444 Posts
Grannylingus said:
You have a tiny car. You are not going to hitch a trailer on it. Class II hitches weighs more which translates to more gas consumption. I say go for the Class I

here's a hitch that fits your matrix http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~24812.htm?vehicleid=2006201588
Class II hitches do not weigh so much more that the additional mass will affect fuel consumption...

·
Registered
24 Posts
The guy owns a matrix, not an suv. I don't think the added weight of the class II hitch + the added weight of 2" racks is negligible. Those things are dang heavy.:D

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,444 Posts
Grannylingus said:
The guy owns a matrix, not an suv. I don't think the added weight of the class II hitch + the added weight of 2" racks is negligible. Those things are dang heavy.:D
It's still less than 1% of the total GVW. If that mattered a good BM for 4 occupants would affect the gas mileage.. and so would a couple bags of groceries.

·
Drunken fool
228 Posts
Geez, do you shave all your body hair, trim your nails and use an enema before you drive your car? If you're worried about the 5 or so pounds more that a class 2 weighs, you may want to just go to that extreme.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
But for a matrix a class 2 doesn't do anything more than a class 1 can. So it really is more weight for no reason

·
Registered
935 Posts
A class 2 hitch will provide more stability with it's 2" opening. However, I don't think the Matrix is class 2 rated; my Corolla isn't. As others have said: weight increase is negligible and should not be a determining factor.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
beagledadi said:
I had a feeling I should go bigger just to be safe, thank you both for your replies. :thumbsup:
I read through the whole thread, and that's the way I'd go as well. What I've read is that the 2" receivers and racks are much more rigid, and you have a much greater choice in racks. It doesn't matter if your car isn't supposed to tow Class II trailers, if the sole reason for the Class II hitch is a rack mount.

·
Lone Wolf McQuade
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got off the phone with a Hollywood Racks rep and he said the Sportrider 2 rack/bikes would be no problem installed on a Class I hitch. The hitch I will be installing onto the Matrix will be for the bike rack/bikes only, no towing, and it'll accept the 1 1/4 rack fine.

Thanks to all that responded :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts