Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I ride a bike with Magura Claras, and mostly do XC riding, though some of it involves pretty long and technical downhills. I wrecked out on the trail this week and snapped the brake line, which got me thinking about new brakes. I don't want to spend much (or better yet, I don't have much to spend), so high end hydros are essentially out of the question. I was originally just going to pay the 40 bucks or whatever to replace the line, rebleed, etc. but a friend offered to put on a used, but good condition, set of Avid BB7s (6" rotor in back, 8" in front) for 100 bucks, which seems like a good deal! I am a bit worried about losing modulation with the avids. However, I haven't been thrilled with the Claras either. There is a lot of play in the lever and I have to pull the lever almost to the bar to get the rear wheel to lock up. I'm leaning towards the BB7s over simply repairing my Claras. I'm looking for opinions from people who likely more know about bikes/brakes than me - what would you do here? Thanks for the help!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
For $100 the Avids sound like a great deal especially with the power of a 8in front rotor. Im not overly familiar with Magurs but if they are as bad as you say the Avids are a bargin & dont worry about loosing modulation if the brakes dont work you have no modulation. Avid BB5&7's are very good brakes & you can adjust to get excelent feel through the lever. :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.