Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shop installed new Front and reat 4 piston XTs with a 203 SLX rear rotor. Over roots and rocks it sounds like a tray of silverware clanging around back there. I have an ICE XT rotor up front and it is quiet. Anyone else have this going on? I cannot find another possible source.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Caliper aligned properly and mounting tight? Rotor tight? Pad spring present? Rear wheel tight and hub good (hub axle, bearings, spacers)? Pads with heat sinks are known to rattle due to the weight of the heat sink. Try pads without heat sinks.

Take it back to the shop and see what they say/do.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made an ASSsumption. I thought I heard it rattling in the back so I snugged it all down but found no issues. Midway on my ride today I was waiting for a buddy and thought to check the front. The bolts were only barely in and that was thanks to lock tite. The washers and the caliper were loose and rattling. I made the assumption all was good as I thought it was emitting from the rear. I also assumed, once again, double checks happened at the shop I paid full retail to AND installation costs to. So done with shops.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
Sometimes caliper bolts will back out a little on a fresh install. It's happened to me on brakes I've installed myself and know that I torqued down sufficiently. More than once. Part of the reason why Shimano has that wire to prevent the bolts from backing out (that NOBODY ever uses).

Rattling pads are something else entirely, and are something you just have to deal with if you want pads with heat sinks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes caliper bolts will back out a little on a fresh install. It's happened to me on brakes I've installed myself and know that I torqued down sufficiently. More than once. Part of the reason why Shimano has that wire to prevent the bolts from backing out (that NOBODY ever uses).

Rattling pads are something else entirely, and are something you just have to deal with if you want pads with heat sinks.
Harold, I can see that happening a little but they were both backed out about 1.5-2mm. The lock tite was holding them fairly firm so I am feeling confident they were just left loose. The shop also did not use the wire or the clips. They just re-used my old hardware.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad that you got it sorted. Sorry that your shop stuffed you around...shops really have a lot to answer for
Damned straight. I have sympathy in their struggle against Amazon and the like but this is a setback in my mind. This shop builds great trails and does good advocacy. That, and time crunch, are why I happily paid list and then paid to have then do the install. I'll do commerce with them but zero maintenance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.