Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you are looking for a GREAT place to beach ride and camp check out Clam Gulch. You can either camp in the campground (.2 miles from the beach) or drive down to the beach and drive either direction (4wd required) and camp along the bluff. Once there you can ride at least 15 miles either way before you hit major rivers - and the riding is great! Endos make it easy & fun, non-endos will be a lot more work. Fun, fun, fun . . . .

·
Registered
248 Posts
pictures?!

A simple request... yes I am guilty of checking my camera batteries before my headlamp batteries... thanks for the reminder

I worked a set-net sight south of Clam Gulch many years ago and still consider it my best summer in Alaska - I plan on a trip one of these high tides something akin to Kathy and Pat's Hope to Homer...only maybe Nikiski to Anchor Point, or somethin' that can be done in a three day weekend. Ya know, with all the East-Side set-netters, you could probably score some pretty good grub along the way...

·
Registered
248 Posts
more beach riding

Inspired by Pat and Kathy's Hope to Homer www.kathysarns.com/hopehomer.html I bolted down to Captain Cook Monument and rode to Point Possession and camped out Saturday returned to Captain Cook Monument campground Sunday. The link above has some great photos. I share some photo's below - but the 100% humidity (rain rain rain) did my camera lens in pretty early (and the rest of my so-called raingear).

Too bad about the camera really - I had a huge Sea Eagle lead me down the beach. If you can think of the size relation of ravens to bald eagles that you have seen flying together- this monstrous brown bird with a longer beak was that much bigger than the numerous bald's. Lots of other wildlife present too.

Some information/opinion that would make this trip more enjoyable for those that would follow:

High tides are a must - they really pack the sand all the way up the beach
Tide was 31 foot my night out - a 34 might make your search for a tent site stressfull
Use the Anchorage tide table minus 1 hour for Point Possession -
It is 28 miles of beach that was ridable 99.5% on the Pugs
Captain Cook Monument is pretty close timewise to the Point Pos. for high tide -
Pugs, with a pretty lazy rider, averaged 6.5 mph moving. Plenty of time between high tides.
Big storms are in September and October - all bets are off for high tide numbers then

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
profile per your request

here is: you can see the "beach pump-tracking" and the climb to the campground on the end - alot of the time was below sea level, must measure average tide.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.