Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between the bike forums and the fact that I hike a bunch in addition to being a mtn biker, I hear it a LOT....
"I am a mtn biker..._____fill in the blank with some anti-mtn biker remark or ant-mtn biker trail access statement____."

Then you find out the person took some scouts on fire roads a couple times years ago or its some hiker that breaks out their mtn bike on the some tame city park or paved rec trail once a year ....or so. But basically its people with some old cheap hard-tail collecting dust and rotting its tires off in the garage.

When does a person EARN the right to CLAIM to be a Real tm Mtn Biker, and therefore a Spokesman (so to speak)?

I wouldn't care about this over inflated image of themself, but often the statement is used to give credibility to some clueless statement they are making, that basically slanders mtn bikers or is not by any means representing ACTUAL mtn bikers.

Ironically these are the scariest people to meet on the "trail" too. We have a local hiking "trail" thats a gravel road for 5 miles before getting to a good take off point for rugged backpacking (Monte Cristo to the locals). So hikers jump on ancient junkers and rip down the road which is heavily used by hikers to. Especially in the downhill direction with 50 pound packs poorly balanced and virtually no brakes, they are just bad news and are obviously NOT REAL mtn bikers. Oddly my hiking buddy (and I am sure others) uses this to say "mtn bikers are bad", and since the guy I hike with IS the former scout leader, he knows his HATRED of mtn bikers is justified. (and yes that is an issue between us....thank gawd we only hike together)

Anyone else notice these inflated claims?
Any ideas of when people are OFFCIAL mtn bikers? I assume its a matter of passion more than time or equipment.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Twisted Trail said:
I assume its a matter of passion more than time or equipment.
This is the only statement I agree w/ you on. But, Prior make mention twice of what people ride.
It shouldnt be a matter of what your on but if your passionate and commited to your sport.
At some point we were all squids getting into riding and probably were perceived as a dumba$$ by others as well. If you see someone new or has a beater extend an invite to ride or build them up not snub them.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
signs you are a REAL mountain biker

your road bike has flat tires and is collecting dust
you dont have a road bike
you hate critical mass and the people who participate in it
you dont give a damn about "sharing the roads" or bike lanes
you cant remember the last time you put on your hiking boots
you dont have hiking boots
your driveway or porch has mud on it from your bike tires
your bike rack is always on your car
you have been known to wear your clipless shoes to the liquor store
youve gone to the bar covered in mud
your mountain bike or bikes equal or exceed the value of your car
when riding across town, you take a longer route just so you can hit some dirt paths or jumps on the way
you get withdrawls when you havent ridden for a few days
you drive insane distances to hit new trails
your vacations revolve around mountain biking

feel free to add more

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
signs you're a fool, and should stop posting about being a "real mtber":

your road bike has flat tires and is collecting dust
you dont have a road bike
you hate critical mass and the people who participate in it
you dont give a damn about "sharing the roads" or bike lanes
you cant remember the last time you put on your hiking boots
you dont have hiking boots
the rest wasn't so bad...

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
yeah im a fool because i despise overzealous road bikers who dont know their place.
it's embarrasing that people like you call yourselves mtn bikers.

every single (without exception) pro XC racer rides a road bike. critical mass is about alternative transportation and having a good time on BIKES. people (in cars OR on bikes) who don't share the road are idiots. many, many mtbr's are also avid hikers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Melt said:
yeah im a fool because i despise overzealous road bikers who dont know their place.
Yeah+ you despise me. I am a complete mtn bike poser. I would much rather be road biking, but it happens that I live in actual mountains and can ride almost anywhere without touching pavement, so I do both+ especially in the winter.

I never drive anywhere to bike, except to race.

Seriously, if you are finding your trails too crowded with noobs or people you despise, perhaps you should dig a little deeper and take the tracks less traveled, and perhaps a bit more technical. Otherwise, how can we tell that you are not just one of them`?

But I guess if it makes you feel better to put other people down+ who are doing essentially the same thing you are doing, but all means... go ahead.

·
Older than I feel
1,916 Posts
I love mountain biking, especially singletrack. I love hikes that take all day. I commute on a bike about half the time.

So am I a roadie, hiker, MTBer? All of the above.

Why the preoccupation with labels?

·
3,533 Posts
ferday said:
every single (without exception) pro XC racer rides a road bike.
really? While they may ride on the road, i see a lot of pro xc guys training on mountain bikes because its harder to turn wide knobby tires than it is to turn a skinny tire

ferday said:
critical mass is about alternative transportation and having a good time on BIKES.
it is? Last time i checked it was about blocking off a shitload of streets in san francisco and smashing and vandalizing cars that happen to be in the vicinity .... but hey if thats roadies idea of a good time then ....

ferday said:
people (in cars OR on bikes) who don't share the road are idiots.
hmm ... cars represent 98% of traffic on public roads. Bikes and peds represent 2% and do not contribute to the infrastructure of the road IE registration or gas taxes.... yeah the bikes deserve equal rights :rolleyes:

ferday said:
many, many mtbr's are also avid hikers.
those two were more ment as a joke ... hell the ones about the road bike collecting dust and having flat tires was supposed to be a joke too .... but i forget that MTBR has a lot of roadies and hikers posing as "real mountain bikers" with no sense of humor.

good day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Remember that the "founding fathers" of mountain biking rode beach cruiser bikes with bigger tires on them down dirt roads. That fact alone should make sure that nobody classifies themselves as a mountainbiker based on what they ride, or where they ride. Just a thought.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
ferday said:
it's embarrasing that people like you call yourselves mtn bikers.

every single (without exception) pro XC racer rides a road bike. critical mass is about alternative transportation and having a good time on BIKES. people (in cars OR on bikes) who don't share the road are idiots. many, many mtbr's are also avid hikers.
Totally in agreement with you, Ferday.
Melt, the real reason you can call your posts idiotic (I don't know you and can't comment on your all around idiocy) is your promotion of the stale "them against us" mindset. In what "place" do you think zealous roadies need to be? Having Hiking boots diminishes your ability to be considered a mountain biker? If I make a lot more than you, does that mean I have to buy a $20,000 bike or get rid of my new truck to be considered a "true" mountain biker?
I despise overzealous, narrow minded, "my way is the only way" fanatics .

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not bashing....just differentiating

This is NOT meant as a thread to compete with the existing "cute lists of what makes a person an over the top die hard mtn biker."
This is NOT meant to be bashing newbies GETTING INTO the sport on a cheap bike or an old timer that passionately rides his $300 1989 Diamond Back every weekend. Or MTN BIKERS that happen to do other sports (i.e. road riding or hiking).

Note I said COLLECTING DUST in the garage.

Now if its a road rider that owns that $300 1989 Diamond Back and hasn't ridden it since 1994, but he shows up spouting off on a mtn bike forum or speaks in public that he represents mtn bikers when he says they should be banned off trails except rail trails, THATS the posers I am talking about. That guy should put up or shut up, IMHO.

Where is that line drawn between poser that can bash mtn bikers/biking without a basis and one that can speak from experience?

I am a totally rabid "equal rights for mtn bikers" type. I also hike a lot, and in fact get in arguments AS A HIKER with Forest Rangers patrolling the backcountry, trying to question and figure out their anti-biking policy. I feel I CAN speak as a mtn biker representative.

I spent many years road biking (including racing) and bike commuting. Currently my road bike is collecting dust and I am NOT bike commuting, and even though I risk life and limb riding at lunch on the roads around work for exercise, I do NOT consider myself a "road rider" at this time.

I think people should show the same respect for mtn biking. I am trying to differentiate "I have ridden a mtn bike" from "I am a mtn biker."

Lets see if we can do it a bit more calmly....I WILL be checking your profile for credibility on either side of the argument. :D

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Melt said:
really? While they may ride on the road, i see a lot of pro xc guys training on mountain bikes because its harder to turn wide knobby tires than it is to turn a skinny tire

it is? Last time i checked it was about blocking off a shitload of streets in san francisco and smashing and vandalizing cars that happen to be in the vicinity .... but hey if thats roadies idea of a good time then ....

hmm ... cars represent 98% of traffic on public roads. Bikes and peds represent 2% and do not contribute to the infrastructure of the road IE registration or gas taxes.... yeah the bikes deserve equal rights :rolleyes:

those two were more ment as a joke ... hell the ones about the road bike collecting dust and having flat tires was supposed to be a joke too .... but i forget that MTBR has a lot of roadies and hikers posing as "real mountain bikers" with no sense of humor.

good day.
Are an idiot or just trolling here?

Have you heard nothing about the cardio benefits of road biking? It may be harder to turn bigger wheels etc but riding a road bike is a much more effective way to train your heart and lungs because you can maintain your heartrate at a chosen level better than you can when you're on the MTB where the terrain dictates your level of effort.

I agree with you about overzealous Critical Mass riders who are out more to make a spectacle of themselves than they are about promoting bike use. But what makes you think that they are dedicated road riders, mtb riders, or bike riders in general? Any fool can hop on their clunker once a month and ride in CM.

Da-- right I deserve equal rights! The way I see it, I'm paying more than my fair share. Just because I commute to work on my bike and ride a road bike for fun and exercize does not mean that I'm not also paying registration on my car or taxes on my car/house/income or filling my tank for long trips. It does mean that I'm not creating as much wear and tear on the roads or adding to traffic congestion though.

I like a good laugh as much as the next guy but you're promoting an anti-bike attitude that could be dangerous to those of us who are REAL BIKERS that enjoy all aspects of the sport whether it be on the road or off.

I'm pretty sure I'll smoke you in either place.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Melt said:
yeah im a fool (because i despise overzealous road bikers who dont know their place.)
(edited for clarity) :p

Yow.

Um, anyhow - I'd consider myslef an avid cyclist, and screw any other sort of "classification".

(sorryTwistedTrail, this may bug ya, but to someit is a matter of "qualifying or quantifying, alas...)

Sweet road bike I love hammering/racing/training on? Yup.

Rollers for the road bike or the fixed gear track bike? Yup - that too.

Cycle commuter? Um, yep - that as well.

Big mtbr.com Passion Original Thread Poster? Check.

IMBA member. Yep.

Local Race Team management volunteer? yessiree.

Local bike/trails advocate group(s) member/volunteer/trails worker? Ditto above.

Know how to bunnyhop without clips/cages? LMAO - Of course!

Medal(s) at MTBike Nationals? Yup. Medals at 24 Hour Solo's / Duo's / Marathons? Yup, yup, and yup. The level of training needed to do well at local / regional, and especially Nationally ranked events dictates, for me, that I ride some road. Nothing works you over like a long, fast, hard road ride with stronger guys... and shoot! It's freakin fun flying down hill at 55mph on a 16 pound rocket!

Overzealous ANYTHING biking sounds OK to me! Other than that, I still feel like I hardly bring jack to the sport, so I'll keep trying.

So (edit) hush up and stop sweatin' someone else's version of PASSION!

glen

In a nutshell,
I assume its a matter of passion more than time or equipment.
is spot-on.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Melt said:
Right..... cyclists and pedestrians don't contribute anything to taxes that actually pay for infrastructure. Check your economics book/data again! :rolleyes:

Melt said:
but i forget that MTBR has a lot of roadies and hikers posing as "real mountain bikers" with no sense of humor.
Doh! You nailed me, I admit it! Sorry to have offended your uber-mountainbiking self and your sense of 'right' here on the forum.

BWWAHHHHHHHHAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA...........

:thumbsup:

·
3,533 Posts
dir-T said:
Are an idiot or just trolling here?
both because nobody here can ever take a joke most of this forum consits of weekend warriors who live in suburbia and otherwise should be posting on roadbikereview

I like a good laugh as much as the next guy but you're promoting an anti-bike attitude that could be dangerous to those of us who are REAL BIKERS that enjoy all aspects of the sport whether it be on the road or off.
im promoting an anti critical mass attitude ... nothing more

dir-T said:
I'm pretty sure I'll smoke you in either place.
you sure your moutain bike is up to the task? Sounds like it collects dust like the original poster was talking about in post #1

This thread is stupid to begin with ... now all we got is people with their panties in a bunch because they dont fit MY DEFINITION / OPINION of a real mountain biker.

and no you dont have to sell your 20,000 truck or buy a bike worth that much to be real come on that was a clear joke but i know you guys have seen old hoopties with the sweet ass bike .... like at downieville last year i saw a 88 civic beat to hell with a kmart trunk rack and what looked like a $4000 DH bike on the rack .... thats just funny but it shows where the mans priorities lie. In my case my bikes combined exceed the value of my car, but no bike by itsself exceeds the value of my car.

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
labels have weight....unfortunately

chucko58 said:
I love mountain biking, especially singletrack. I love hikes that take all day. I commute on a bike about half the time.

So am I a roadie, hiker, MTBer? All of the above.

Why the preoccupation with labels?
The pre-occupation with labels is based on that "labels" are given weight in our society to form credibility for policy influencing statements they make.

You CAN be "all of the above", and more power to you if you REALLY are.

The guy I hike with (we do 10-15 miles mountain hikes alternating with my mtn biking weekends) CLAIMS to be a "good mtn biker" as he threatens to poke a stick into polite passing mtn bikers on the rare times we hike on a rare true "multi-use" trail. It actually took me quite awhile to read through his Bullbleep to realize his "mtn biking" experience was long ago, a couple times on a logging roads.

I see this claim often both on forums and when I have been at trail policy setting meetings. Hikers that literally "tried a bike once on a trail, but it was WAY too much work" (that was a WTA meeting quote by a very famous "hiker") And this person claimed he was therefore a "mtn biker" and knew what kind of trails (i.e. roads) the mtn bikers should be restricted to and would be happy with.

Incidently I rabidly believe in equal rights for road bikers on the road (YOU are driving with the gasoline they are saving!) but I think Critical Mass is stupid and counter-productive and COULD be done much more effectively. But then publice demonstrations that piss people off never have seemed too productive to me....but thats a whole different thread, and forum. I USED TO BE a road biker. Can't say go shoulder to shoulder with cars ENOUGH at this time to make that claim. I AM a hiker AND a Mtn biker though.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.