Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New King ISO Disc, new DT 6.1 rims, new 14g spokes, new brass nips, hand built-$800

or

Mavic Crossmax SX Set-$680

Edit: These are prices the shop wants to charge me.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The wheelset may have CK hubs, but they're not CK wheelsets; they don't exist (at this time, they did for a short period of time). I think the quality of CK hubs far exceeds those Mavic uses, and the wheels will be built with standard spokes/nipples rather than the proprietary crap (oh, excuse me, er spokes.nipples) Mavic uses. YMMV.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
When I received my CK pink spacers, I got a litte flyer from CK. Available March 1. Complete Wheelset, as part of the Pretty and Strong special editions

MSRP- Classic 700 $699
Classic 26 $699
Iso 26 $749
20mm & Iso heavy duty $799
single speed disc 26 $799

Pemium brand rims and spokes matched with CK pink hub. All wheelsets feature 32 hole, 3 cross lacing with exception of the classic 700 and 26 sets featuring 2 cross lacing front wheels. Built in Portland, Oregon

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Mavic makes nice rims but their hubs are mediocre at best. The fact that they sell even close to the same price simply astonishes me.

You can buy the Mavic "wheels" and ignore the fact you're putting all your money into the disposable items (rims and spokes) and that it cost an arm and a leg to get a these consumables replaced.

Or you can buy the King hubs with the idea that rims and spokes can come and go but your hubs will still be rolling strong for 10 years or more.

Choice is yours. Remember, it's only expensive if you can't afford it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking too. I'll try a few websites to see what their prices on the CK buildup are. Any websites/wheel builders to stay away from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.