Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know where else to post this, figured this is the best spot. What I would like to know is if anyone has experience with both brands of headsets and if they think that the HOPE's are up to the "set it and forget it" quality that CK is at?

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,778 Posts
LyNx said:
Didn't know where else to post this, figured this is the best spot. What I would like to know is if anyone has experience with both brands of headsets and if they think that the HOPE's are up to the "set it and forget it" quality that CK is at?
All we can do is HOPE!

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Didn't know Hope even made one, so I went to their website and it says not available in North America, why I wonder?
Actually it is now, as of this month. I've gotten a few in, very very nice looking headset. Sealed really well and seems comparable to King in quality, time will tell.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
The Dude Abides
305 Posts
Universal Cycles sells tons of Hope stuff: headsets, breaks, skewers, hubs, etc. I've been to Universal's place and seen/touched all their Hope stuff. It's all very nice craftsmanship, and they come in a variety of colors for bling factor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
hope are in the process of releasing 4 new headsets over here in the UK, i have a hope headset on my hardtail and am very happy with it so far 18 months and going strong, opend it up the other day and the original blue hope grease they use on everything was still there, bearings were still smooth.

although i have little experience with CK headsets for comparisons sake.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ventanarama said:
Actually it is now, as of this month. I've gotten a few in, very very nice looking headset. Sealed really well and seems comparable to King in quality, time will tell.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]
how you getting on with the head doctor? you either love em or hate em in the uk,
imo there great, but some people just cant seem to get there head around them......

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice to see some positive replies. I'm a HOPE fanboy myself - just love my Mono Mini's, they are superb stoppers. I also like their hubs, skewers, seatpost clamps, stems so to be able to get the headset and seatpost all in the exact same matching type ano' would be super sweet - BLACK Seatpost & Stem. RED headset, seat clamp, hubs, skewers :D: now that's blinged out and great quality craftsmanship all in one :)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
FoShizzle said:
I am glad Hopes are now easier to get in the US. I will no longer use Kings moving forward.....almost all Kings I have had creaked.
The CK creaking is because they do not use a compression washer to tighten the headset to the steerer, just an O-ring and a tight fit. The compression washer is covered in the Dia-Compe/Cane Creek patent and CK did not want to pay the licensing fee.

The Hope uses a compression washer but they did not have a licensing agreement for the US and could not sell them here until QBP took care of the details and US distribution of the Hope headsets.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
shiggy said:
The CK creaking is because they do not use a compression washer to tighten the headset to the steerer, just an O-ring and a tight fit. The compression washer is covered in the Dia-Compe/Cane Creek patent and CK did not want to pay the licensing fee.

The Hope uses a compression washer but they did not have a licensing agreement for the US and could not sell them here until QBP took care of the details and US distribution of the Hope headsets.
like I said.....no more Kings for me. I had hear something along those lines Shiggy as the explanation but that clears it up.

It feels so liberating to not be dependent on any King parts anymore!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.