Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting almost 2 months, I finally received my Chris King Ti Headset.
Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing CK here.
While it is slightly heavier than the regular CK headsets, it is indeed a beauty.
That beauty, however, is marred by the cheap-a$$ black stem cap.
To me, that is the equivalent of having a Bentley / Ferrari / Porsche and using PepBoys SeatCovers instead of paying for the leather.

What gives?

I mean, since CK's 1 1/8" Ti Headset already retails for $258.95, why not charge a little more for a titanium top cap? Or is there a special reason here?

CK marketing dept, if you are reading this, I, for one, will gladly pay $300 for a set that comes with a titanium stem cap. ($305 if you throw in a titanium steerer bolt as well :D ).

-Lost81

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
CK is cutting corners on product

I sympathize with you. CK price is outrageous for Head set. I might as well buy RaceFace headset or FSA. I can save money on something else more important like clothing.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
well, for the price of one CK I can buy (and install correctly) 3 cane creek C2s and throw one away every 3.33 years for the "warrenty" period. Unfortunatly I've had the same cane creek C2 since 1998 or so. Replacing the bearings killed my wallet at around $8.

Install a headset correctly and you won't have any problems for a long time.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Huh

My CK Ti that came on a used bike I bought (a downhill bike, no less) has a Ti (or Ti-looking) top cap.
I guess they changed top caps at some point, as this one is several years old. That sucks.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Wow, some people must have money to wipe their arse with if they can spend $250 for a HS...

I bought my ultralight Tioga aheadset from supergo in 2001 for $20. It weighs 87g. It is still going strong. When i bought a second bike, i looked high and low for one of these but no avail. Ended up buying a new CK from a local for $75. Supergo has the CC C2 HS for $25. I thought about it, but didn't know much about it. Next time.

CK is just out of control. I wish some other company would step up take the market. :(
I'll buy anyone else's hubs except theirs. Sorry, i digress.

Back to the beef about cheap arse Ti CK HS coming with a plain alu cap for $259...

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Pics of the bike please! I agree with you about that top cap. King's ti headset is just for those with a lot to blow. However, if you decide to spend that much (I'll probably buy one eventually :D ), you can request that it come with a silver cap to better match the polised finish. King says they will mix and match colors, and I dont see why they wouldnt do it for a ti set.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheRedMantra said:
Pics of the bike please! . . . you can request that it come with a silver cap to better match the polised finish. King says they will mix and match colors, and I dont see why they wouldnt do it for a ti set.
Soon. Soon. :D
I still lack a front fork (Fox F80 RLT), front derailleur (Shimano XTR), Brake levers (Avid Ultimate SD), seat clamp (Xtralite?), QR for the wheels, and cables (Avid Flak Jackets). Once I get them, then I will assemble this fella and take a pic.

I guess I can make a holy fuss about it and swap for an aluminum top cap, but that's still not titanium :( Oh, well, my consolation is that the black top cap will match the black grips, black Avid Ultimate levers, black Ultimate V-brakes, black Sun Ringle' RPM Lite wheelset, black Race Face Deus X-type crank arms, black Sella Italia SLR seat and oh, yes, black tires. :p

-Lost81

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry I am new to this weight stuff, but why is a regular CK heaset lighter than a CK Ti version?
What would the weight difference be between a Regular CK heaset w/a Ti race compare to a CK Ti headset?
Thanx

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,170 Posts
BXTale said:
Sorry I am new to this weight stuff, but why is a regular CK heaset lighter than a CK Ti version?
That's easy.

Titanium is heavier than aluminum.

1 cubic meter of titanium will be far heavier than 1 cubic meter of aluminum.

If you have a headset, you need a certain amount of material for stiffness, and simply depending on the usage and exact factors of the design, you may not be able to use "less" material with the titanium. It's not the "right" metal for every application, and in some applications it may end up making the final product heavier than a comparable aluminum version. When titanium is used, it often has a higher strength to weight ratio than other metals (but again, not necessarily lighter), and that higher strength to weight ratio can allow less material to be used, so in the end it may end up lighter, but it's no gaurentee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.