Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I managed to get a good quote for a custom wheel job which just cost a little more than a Mavic Crossmax SL Disc. I am planning to use Chris King ISO Hubs, DT Aerolite Spooks and Mavic XM819 Rims. Any comments on this combination? I'm also wondering whether it will be lighter than the SL Disc too.

By the way, I heard that you can either go for a 32 spook or 24 (?) spook setup for the CK Hubs. Anyone knows whether the Aerolite spooks can withstand some XC Riding on a 24 Spook setup?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Might not be much help here, but it's spokes, not spooks (those would be the guys who ride with GWB).

What do you weigh? What will you use the wheels for? Are you talking about using a 32h drilled hub for 24 spokes? Comparing a 24 spoke wheel using standard spokes isn't the same thing as a Mavic prebuilt 24 spoke wheel that don't use standard spokes.

I personally wouldn't bother with an aerodynamic spoke on a mountain wheel, can't see what purpose they'd serve. If you're that concerned with aerodynamics and weight, why an XM819 rim?

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Ya im in the process of building up my own light disc wheels right now as well...........and from my current investigation into the matter :

819s are heavy.....you can go 717 with a stans strip or other tubeless strip for a good bit lighter than the 819

aerolites are gonna be expensive......go super comp ...or revolution* (if you are a light weight)

And its not hard at all to get a wheelset lighter than a crossmax SL...those things are heavier and from my riding experience have poor engagement and would be a pain if you had a problem to fix...

And in regards to lacing.....you are gonna have a hard time finding a custom disc wheelset(RIM) that is less than 28 holes..most will be 32 hole like the 717 or 819 rim

And just a thought....check universalcycles.com wheelbuilder and you will easily be able to get them to build up a set cheaper and lighter than a crossmax sl and that even includes shipping.....im building mine myself and if i hadnt found a screaming deal on some hubs on ebay i was gonna just let them build my wheels....there price was way cheap

Just my 2 cents...

-JB

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
If you are looking for an XC/trail wheelset this will be a good build. I can not help much with a weight comparision other than CK's and DT's claimed weights are accurate and the weight of one 819 rim is ~510g.
You could save some weight and some cash with other hubs.

I have a wheelset and a half (two rear wheels - singlespeed and geared) of 819/Sapim CX-Ray spokes, WTB Laser Lite hubs (Paul WORD DIsc SS hub). The AeroLite spokes are basically the same as the CX-Rays. Very solid wheels and fairly light. I can not comment on the WTB rear hud durability as it has not been ridden very much. Beat the other two pretty hard without a whimper.

My preference is 32 spokes and conventional hubs, spokes and nipples (vs a "system" wheel) for best strength and easy serving and repair. Getting the CrossMax wheels repaired in Singapore could be a problem.

BFLife: The AeroLite/CX-Ray is not used for aerodynamic reasons. They are as light as Revolution/Laser butted spokes but the forging process used to blade them lets them build stiffer wheels (at around twice the cost).

G

·
i run that setup pretty much...

i love the hubs and for the most part the wheelset that i have is very good. i have been going much bigger lately and am wishing i would have gone with Mavic 823's. one of the reasons that the 819's are heavier is that they are stronger. the boxed x-section and taller profile make for a very strong wheel. it all depends on how heavy you are and what riding you do as to what you need to get in a wheelset. these are bullet-proof XC wheels, but like i said if you do bigger stuff and or stunts you might want a wider rim (i do). here's a pic of my wheels before installation. sorry i don't have a weight figure for them...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:
... weight of one 819 rim is ~510g..
Guess you want to go UST, there isn't any other choice right?

shiggy said:
My preference is 32 spokes and conventional hubs, spokes and nipples (vs a "system" wheel) for best strength and easy serving and repair. Getting the CrossMax wheels repaired in Singapore could be a problem.
Nope. We have an authorised Mavic Service Centre in Singapore. Unfortunately, they will only provide warranty on wheelsets bought from authorised dealers and not the cheaper parallel importers or wheelsets purchased overseas.

shiggy said:
BFLife: The AeroLite/CX-Ray is not used for aerodynamic reasons. They are as light as Revolution/Laser butted spokes but the forging process used to blade them lets them build stiffer wheels (at around twice the cost).
Yupe. The forged blades are the main reason why I want to use it. I'm also hoping that the aerolite spokes are cheaper than the CX-Ray too! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Might not be much help here, but it's spokes, not spooks (those would be the guys who ride with GWB).
Opps. Me bad...

Bikinfoolferlife said:
What do you weigh? What will you use the wheels for? Are you talking about using a 32h drilled hub for 24 spokes? Comparing a 24 spoke wheel using standard spokes isn't the same thing as a Mavic prebuilt 24 spoke wheel that don't use standard spokes.
Well, I'm about 75 kg (approx 165 lbs). I normally do XC/Single tracks driving.

Bikinfoolferlife said:
I personally wouldn't bother with an aerodynamic spoke on a mountain wheel, can't see what purpose they'd serve. If you're that concerned with aerodynamics and weight, why an XM819 rim?
Well, 2 reasons why the bladed spokes. 1. They look cool. 2. They are forged and not drawn. So they should be stronger. As for why the XM819 Rims, I guess they are the lightest choice (and maybe only choice?) if you want to go UST right?

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
sdchew said:
Opps. Me bad...

Well, I'm about 75 kg (approx 165 lbs). I normally do XC/Single tracks driving.

Well, 2 reasons why the bladed spokes. 1. They look cool. 2. They are forged and not drawn. So they should be stronger. As for why the XM819 Rims, I guess they are the lightest choice (and maybe only choice?) if you want to go UST right?
DT 4.1d rims with their conversion kit would be lighter than the 819 and is a very reliable setup. Aerolite spokes are usually as much or more expensive than the CX-Ray.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Ventanarama said:
DT 4.1d rims with their conversion kit would be lighter than the 819 and is a very reliable setup. Aerolite spokes are usually as much or more expensive than the CX-Ray.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]
yeah....the DT Swiss 4.1 rim / conversion kit is awesome. Larry built a set for me and it works to perfection.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can I check with you guys regarding what kind of nipples to use for the Mavic 819 Disc Rims? Would it be possible to use the DTSwiss alloy pro-locking nipples?

Thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
As I'm running the Kings/Sapim X-Ray/717 combo for my 5" trail bike, I can promise you that you'll have no trouble with that combo for XC. 32 "spooks" is your only option, I sense a little flex in my setup already - but not much, I'm super pleased!

As to your comment that the bladed spokes look cool, think again. Before you shell out the big bucks, know this - they don't look any different than a regular spoke unless you really lean in close for inspection and notice that it is indeed bladded - you generally can't tell unless you actually reach out and feel the spoke. It's going to look nothing like the glamerous X-max. But you'll have all the bragging rights of running the lightest, strongest setup.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
sdchew said:
Can I check with you guys regarding what kind of nipples to use for the Mavic 819 Disc Rims? Would it be possible to use the DTSwiss alloy pro-locking nipples?

Thanks!
Yes, you can use the locking nipples. IMO there is no reason to use them vs normal alloy nipps if the wheel is properly built.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shiggy said:
Yes, you can use the locking nipples. IMO there is no reason to use them vs normal alloy nipps if the wheel is properly built.
Do you have any preference for alloy or brass nipples? A friend of mine even advised me to do a mixture for the rear wheel! (Brass for the spokes on the drive side, alloy for the rest). By the way, do you know what size nipples I need? The Mavic site is really void of information!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
sdchew said:
Do you have any preference for alloy or brass nipples? A friend of mine even advised me to do a mixture for the rear wheel! (Brass for the spokes on the drive side, alloy for the rest). By the way, do you know what size nipples I need? The Mavic site is really void of information!
I use alloy for most of my wheels.

Mavic recommends 16mm nips. I used 12mm without a problem.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Personally I think it is a GREAT build...

I have 2 of these wheelsets I like them so much. Older Mavic 3.1 rims (but they are exactly the same, just a different #). ad Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

I weigh 185lbs and have never needed to put a spoke wrench to either wheelset.

I like using the UST rim better than tape and Stans, because it was 100% fool proof and never leaked

KMan

sdchew said:
Hi Everyone,

I managed to get a good quote for a custom wheel job which just cost a little more than a Mavic Crossmax SL Disc. I am planning to use Chris King ISO Hubs, DT Aerolite Spooks and Mavic XM819 Rims. Any comments on this combination? I'm also wondering whether it will be lighter than the SL Disc too.

By the way, I heard that you can either go for a 32 spook or 24 (?) spook setup for the CK Hubs. Anyone knows whether the Aerolite spooks can withstand some XC Riding on a 24 Spook setup?

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
sdchew said:
No kidding the Mavic site is horrible....

All that i have discovered by reading threads on here is all wheel build parts are personal preference....some people swear by one thing and other by another....using good judgement regarding your weight and how you ride is your best bet....

With that said i use brass nipples and 14/15 comp spokes on my rear drive side...........so call me crazy...but then again im using 14/17 revolutions and alloy nips on the rest with my current disc brake wheel build

once again just my .02 :)

-Boz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts