Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when I put my bike together after servicing it a little bit I realized that there is slight play in the spacers between the headset and the stem. I notice it when I hold the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth, if I don't hold the brake and just bounce the bike up and down I can't notice it. I've tried with two different stems: Easton Vice/ Thomson, but nothing seems to help. Do you guys have any idea what this could be?

I've taken the whole fork off and checked that the cups are secure, and they don't move at all, is there something wrong with the spacers or is the headset simply worn? I've only used it for like 50 hours...

Thanks/ Stephan

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,829 Posts
dude i had that same problem with 2 kings. i had a rasta set and a steelset and i couldnt get either one to stay tight. i was effin pissed off to i ripped those out of my frames and put a sunline (better than king) in one and a pig dh pro (stil havnt touched it) in the other frame and both headsets have stayed tight. i lost confidence in king products.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Your problem is most likely the o-ring in the upper race. It's just worn. When they wear out, you get play just below the stem. Fairly common problem with kings.

Get a new o-ring at your local hardware store and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In order to check if the HS is loose, wrap your hand around the bottom cup and on top of the fork crown. Apply the front brake and rock the bike back and forth while holding the bottom cup. If you can feel the crown race move then the head set is loose. Don't rely on just the clunk you might hear or feel. This could be the brake pads knocking around. If it will not tighten up enough to keep it from knocking, you might wanna' consider a Head Lock. This will eliminate the star nut inside the head tube. I always thought those were junk anyway. Hope this helps.:cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! What solved the problem was that I instead of having one spacer on top of the stem I put more spacers underneath. I don't know why it solved the problem, but it did, so I'm happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.