Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have any of you guys experienced a problem with the Chris King Devo Headset alignment? The problem I am experiencing is that the bearing cap isn't sitting evenly on the bearing. Somehow, the cap is angled downward towards the front section of the headtube. In the photo you can see that the gap is double in height in the back portion compared to the front.

The lower baseplate is also not aligned perpendicularly. The baseplate is angled upwards towards the front section of the headtube as you can see in the pic.

The shop has dismantled and reassembled the headset a couple of times already but can't seem to get it to sit in properly. The bearing cones seem to be sitting evenly on the bearing cups as well. Turning the handle bars right or left feels pretty smooth and doesn't not feel to be binding in anyway. Any ideas? Thanks!

By the way, I'm sorry for having posted this here as I didn't know where else to post this.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Have you faced the head tube? It looks like it's off. If you run your headset like this the compression cap will wear out prematurely. Bearing life will also likely suffer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
why not try a different reducer headset, like Cane Creek XXc II...if the alignment is still an issue, then warranty your HS with CK. But I'll do the cheaper option as what Err mentioned, before trying a different headset or swap it with a spare fork first.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Err said:
Have you faced the head tube? It looks like it's off. If you run your headset like this the compression cap will wear out prematurely. Bearing life will also likely suffer.
Check it to see if it needs facing .

·
Registered
200 Posts
mr. character, he's asking opinion and i gave an opinion...and i don't need ur opinion. why don't u just give him instead ur opinion masta blasta. copish???

spelling corrected from copish to capish. Thanks Phd Professor "character zero".

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
john85D said:
Have any of you guys experienced a problem with the Chris King Devo Headset alignment? The problem I am experiencing is that the bearing cap isn't sitting evenly on the bearing. Somehow, the cap is angled downward towards the front section of the headtube. In the photo you can see that the gap is double in height in the back portion compared to the front.

The lower baseplate is also not aligned perpendicularly. The baseplate is angled upwards towards the front section of the headtube as you can see in the pic.

The shop has dismantled and reassembled the headset a couple of times already but can't seem to get it to sit in properly. The bearing cones seem to be sitting evenly on the bearing cups as well. Turning the handle bars right or left feels pretty smooth and doesn't not feel to be binding in anyway. Any ideas? Thanks!

By the way, I'm sorry for having posted this here as I didn't know where else to post this.
in the last pic it looks like the crown race is upside down? every chrisking race i have had sits flush on the fork crown

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
The Dude said:
in the last pic it looks like the crown race is upside down? every chrisking race i have had sits flush on the fork crown
dude, i think your onto something with that.

(lol, i called ya dude, and then realized its actually your handle haha)

·
Registered
200 Posts
my opinion is close about fork related issue...it's gonna be the crown race, and it's installed at the fork...oh well.

EDUMACATING maybe...it came from the character zero personal basement urban dictionary. Sorry Professor for the wrong spelling, I didn't know u check spellings here and not opinion about the thread. My apologies sir!

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
john85D said:

The shop has dismantled and reassembled the headset a couple of times already but can't seem to get it to sit in properly. .
also, if you have taken this to the shop and they cant put a effin headset together (ie not know how to set a fuggin crown race) i suggest you find your self a different bike shop with a competent mechanic asap.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input!

Err,
I'll have the shop take off the headset and check it with a square edge and see if it needs facing. How is this procedure done? Do you send the frame to a machine shop to do the facing? Sorry, I don't have any experience in repairing these types of problem.

The Dude,
I'll have a look at that crown race as well. My shop has only failed me a couple time so I'm going to give them another chance.;) But I have to admit, that would be a basic thing to have overlooked!

And there's no need to argue guys, everyone's opinion is welcomed and we're all here to discuss freely. :thumbsup:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Kinda looks like that race is upside down, but could be the photo (can you take a pic of the crown race pulled away from the headtube? The King race does have a small beveled edge on the side that faces the crown, went and got one to look at (at least on a 1-1/8" crown race).

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
yep i checked my prophet and he defanatly has the crown race on upsidedown!

Accually I looked at it on person when I got home and mine looks just like his.....

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Kinda looks like that race is upside down, but could be the photo (can you take a pic of the crown race pulled away from the headtube? The King race does have a small beveled edge on the side that faces the crown, went and got one to look at (at least on a 1-1/8" crown race).
yea they do. but its at a larger radius on the crown race. the picture has the beveled one as way inside, like the part that the bearing sits on.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The Dude said:
yea they do. but its at a larger radius on the crown race. the picture has the beveled one as way inside, like the part that the bearing sits on.
I couldn't be positive from the photo, hard to tell with the scale of the photo but that does seem to look right (that it's upside down), but that radius isn't a heck of a lot different otoh.

Can't believe a shop would do that, or even couldn't catch that...or was it a customer installed crown race?

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
yeah i just took a look at mine, and that der headset pictured above has the base plate upside down. fo sho.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts

see......

1 - 20 of 42 Posts