Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if the snow or cold weather are getting you down, you should have been in austin today. It started out in the low 60's when we began and was in the mid 70's by beer time.

All of the pics are here:

https://www.austinbike.com/rides/cp121308/index.asp

City Park is known for the limestone ledges:

And plenty of climbs:

Scorpionwoman bowed out at the last minute because she found out her kryptonite would be there:

·
Registered
22 Posts
nice of you to lead with my picture...

...when i know Ian had some really awesome airborne shots ;)

BTW - I get to take credit for snapping the Kryptonite pic. The rarely spotted - AB not behind his camera shot :)

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
austin_bike said:
Scorpionwoman bowed out at the last minute because she found out her kryptonite would be there:
I am found out.
:p

Thanks for the pics, John. Looks like you had a good-sized group of more-advanced riders. How many beginners made it out?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no regular cadence to the clinics, usually someone posts up asking for one and then we all get around to picking a date.

The last one was in July so probably twice a year. However, the 3 main leaders were all preoccupied this past weekend, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have one in january as well.

Are you local to austin?

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, I am from Corpus Christi. I would be willing to drive up to Austin if I have enough time to adjust my schedule. I noticed in the photos that everyone were riding full suspension bikes. Is the clinic beneficial for someone with a hardtail? Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
170 Posts
...and I'm from San Antonio. I've ridden City Park several times over the years but haven't been there in a while. Would love to go with those who know that loop really well.

Thanks -

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
California Dreaning

NWS for Austin, TX
Today: A slight chance of freezing rain before 11am, then a slight chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 37. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 20%. :D

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Thanks for posting up the pictures. You've somehow managed to capture me not looking as stupid as I felt or maybe the 'duffus' shot's never made it to the web. :)

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
pacman said:
NWS for Austin, TX
Today: A slight chance of freezing rain before 11am, then a slight chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 37. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 20%. :D
Yep, yesterday and today = cold days with highs in the 30s. And then:

Wednesday: ... high near 56.

Wednesday Night: ... low around 49.

Thursday: ... high near 76.

Thursday Night: ... low around 60.

Friday: ... high near 74.

Friday Night: ... low around 57.

Saturday: ... high near 75.

And thus my theory of winter weather in Austin (i.e., the an-average-high-of-50-means-it's-either-30-or-70 theory) is supported. ;)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Chilling out
6,036 Posts
CP is fine on hardtail or rigid bikes, you just have to have more tolerant joints, or more elegance in landing. I prefer squish, but it's a known predilection.

Clinics are pretty ad-hoc, watching the Austin Voodo Forum on BikeMojo is usually the way to notice. Sometimes the word goes out early enough to show up elsewhere.

Clinics are r0x0r fun, for giver- and attendee- ... highly suggested for 1st timers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.