Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Bike to have fun.
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted start a thread for people to post their favorite city with great mountain trail systems within biking distance.

Getting out of college soon, where to live, where to live?

Example: I live in downtown Richmond, Virginia and I can hop on my bike and in less than 10 minutes be at a bunch of trailheads.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
anchorage, alaska. probably hundreds of miles of singletrack within city limits, accessible by paved bike paths that wind their way all around the city. one of the best cycling infrastructures i've seen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hear through the grapevine that Pittsburg is a great place to live for mtbers. There are about 10 spots offering over130 miles of singletrack within 15 minutes of the city. Other than that, the city is for **** (I'm from Cleveland) ;)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Maricopa County (Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale etc) has numerous trail systems, and if you tried really, really, really hard, it could be feasibly possible not to live near an amazing set of trails.

The valley is surrounded by ranges, and just about every one of 'em (prolly not Camelback) have trails.

·
The White Jeff W
5,714 Posts
zeeduv said:
I hear through the grapevine that Pittsburgh is a great place to live for mtbers. There are about 10 spots offering over130 miles of singletrack within 15 minutes of the city. Other than that, the city is for **** (I'm from Cleveland) ;)
:thumbsup: Planning to move there within the next six months. Let's go Pens!

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Metro Denver Colorado

Jefferson County Open Space parks and trails abound, and it is Colorado after all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a sampling of places I've ridden and been impressed with the quality of the riding:

Bend, Oregon - Great trails you can ride from town.

Phoenix, Arizona - Lots of riding right near town.

Prescott, Arizona - Town is surrounded by trails including a 60-miler that circles town.

Sedona, Arizona - Trails all over the place.

Flagstaff, Arizona - Great trails close by.

Moab, Utah - I'm sure you've heard of it.

Fruita, Colorado - The new Moab.

Los Angeles, CA - Santa Monica Mtns, San Gabriel Mtns, San Bernadino Mtns.

South Orange County, CA - Hundreds of miles of trails including the Santa Ana Mtns.

Ocala, Florida - Santos Trails

Madison, Wisconsin - Lots of trails. Kettle-Moraine, Levi-Mound, etc...

Asheville, NC - Close to Tsali and other NF trails.

Honorable Mention: Baltimore MD, Philadelphia PA, Austin TX, Gallup NM, and great trails in Missouri and Arkansaw.

·
low speed, high drag
317 Posts
San Francisco's trails are suprisingly good and getting better with bigger bike/trail maintenence groups spreading awarness. There's more open space here than you would think and you can get to other parts of the Bay Area to ride fairly easily by bike, train, ferry, etc. Rent here sucks though, unless you're geared towards some sort of IT job. Or you don't mind living out in the burbs...

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
San Francisco Bay Area has pretty good riding, too. :D
Others not mentioned that come to mind:
Redding, CA
Oakridge, OR
Santa Cruz, CA
Crested Butte, CO
Salida, CO
Durango, CO
Ketchum/Sun Valley, ID

·
Registered
242 Posts
Greensboro, NC. We have some excellent trails here, only a hour or so drive from Pisgah and a few hours from Tsali. The bike club here is awesome about building/maintaining trails and has a good rapport with the Parks&Rec division of the city.

·
ENDO!!!
703 Posts
Colorado Spirngs aint to shabby... Palmer Park in the middle, Ute Park, red rocks, Cheyenne Mtn on the outskirts, all of the other trails alll around the city...

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
Concur with C-Springs

Helena, Montana also fits the bill quite well with Mt Helena, the Mt Helena Ridge, Rodney Ridge and Mt Ascension and the Scratchgravel Hills all adjacent to town. It's the only place I've been that rivals the Springs for top quality singletrack in town.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Kamloops BC.

A couple of 100kms of single track a 2 minutes road ride from my door.

·
Registered
82 Posts
livin on Tulsa time

60 miles of paved path 20 or so of single track and technical as well at turkey mountain, all connected + 6 or so at keystone 15 miles away. layed back and friendly Okie attitude. All with in site of town, nearly year round riding and Arkansas just a few hours away, It works for me:p

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.