Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
urbantrailridingroadie
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a video of this trail a couple years ago and can't seem to find it anymore. Does anyone have any info on this trail? Or has anyone ever ridden it? I found a couple references to it and about it, but nothing factual.....i'm not one to adventure to far out without solid directions and/or map. I was just recently down in PS and had a great time mtb'ing but looking for something new compared to my normal route while down there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-tep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
It's been a few years, so I have no idea of current condition.
But the ride used to be up Dunn to HBV, descend HBV to Vandeventer, cross Dunn to Cindy's.
Short loop is up Dunn to Cindy's-would be hard to get lost just doing the short loop.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
Should also point out that Cindy's does not have a sign at the trailhead.....so don't be looking for one.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just look for an unmarked trail off of Dunn heading in that direction. You will have to go slow if you are heading down Dunn because it is easy to miss, but it's there. I haven't ridden it in a few years because it was not being ridden enough to stay in good condition. It was not bad about fifteen years ago when it was getting some use. We also had our two biggest rain storms in decades over the last two years. This created a lot of ruts. Good luck! It can be sketchy riding it alone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just look for an unmarked trail off of Dunn heading in that direction. You will have to go slow if you are heading down Dunn because it is easy to miss, but it's there. I haven't ridden it in a few years because it was not being ridden enough to stay in good condition. It was not bad about fifteen years ago when it was getting some use. We also had our two biggest rain storms in decades over the last two years. This created a lot of ruts. Good luck! It can be sketchy riding it alone.
After going down HBV, keep ridin and take all rights at 2 or three forks. You will eventually get to a Fireroad (Dunn Rd). Just cross the road and on the other side, straight from where you got to Dunn, you will see Cindy Whitehead trail (I believe there is a sign as well). The trail is good and rideable.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Here's a figure 8 loop that includes Cindy's....the trailhead to Cindy's is where the figure 8 intersects. It begins off Dunn Road then descends East down into the houses until it ends on Foothill Road.

Note that the first 1/4 mile or so of Cindy's is a HAB for almost everyone...then expect a very narrow road with lots of loose rocks and steep switchbacks....

Lots of people rave about this trail, I personally don't like it much...doesn't have much flow just my opinion.

Geoladders -- Palm Springs: Dunn - Hahn Buena Vista - Cindy Whitehead

·
urbantrailridingroadie
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very cool. thank you to all responders.
I probably won't be back down to PS until Fall sometime, and will probably do the short version of up Dunn to Cindy's.

From the video I saw/recall I was basically expecting a tech ride down with a rather steep incline. Good to know about the hike-a-bike as well....that would've thrown me off.

Looking forward to giving it a try.....kind of reminds me of watching Rubicon Trail videos (if you rock crawl) many, MANY years ago before I actually made it up there.

good times, -tep

PS: if anyone knows of the video I am talking about, would you mind posting the link. I believe it was a rider who lives in the Coachella Valley and rode a 5spot.

·
Registered
811 Posts
very cool. thank you to all responders.
I probably won't be back down to PS until Fall sometime, and will probably do the short version of up Dunn to Cindy's.

From the video I saw/recall I was basically expecting a tech ride down with a rather steep incline. Good to know about the hike-a-bike as well....that would've thrown me off.

Looking forward to giving it a try.....kind of reminds me of watching Rubicon Trail videos (if you rock crawl) many, MANY years ago before I actually made it up there.

good times, -tep

PS: if anyone knows of the video I am talking about, would you mind posting the link. I believe it was a rider who lives in the Coachella Valley and rode a 5spot.
It was probably one on Lance's videos. I think I remember seeing one of his videos of Cindy's on here. Look on the Turner forum. He started the 5 Spot photo thread. You will find his screen name there.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Cindy Whitehead trail is trashed....erosion and zero trail maintenance for the past decade has left this trail a chunky, overgrown mess. Do it at your own risk. It's right behind the BLM sign after the top of Dunn Road.

·
Registered
683 Posts
To each his or her own I guess...
I was just in Palm Desert the last 2 weeks and I loved this figure 8. Someone put a new sign up for the final segment once you finish HBV and end up on Dunn Rd. It magically appeared one day, so now it's a bit easier to find.
I'd never heard the name Cindy's before seeing in this thread, we'd always called it Cathedral Canyon Trail (and I think that is what the new sign says). Whatever it is called, we're clearly talking about the same trail...
I found only a couple of initial sections where it's nearly impossible to ride (steep climbs in a section where rock had been carved out and you couldn't pedal without hitting crank arms). Once over that, it was a long flowy ridge ride for about a mile and then some really tough technical stuff with lots of small drops and tons of loose rocks. I thought it was a great way down, beat the heck out of just riding Dunn Rd. Added into HBV, it makes about 6 miles of single track back to the car after climbing up to the picnic tables. I also saw my first mountain goat on this trail (probably a testament to the fact that it isn't heavily ridden).
Here's a map of my ride on Friday.
Dunn-Hahn-Cathedral.jpg

·
urbantrailridingroadie
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice!!
thanks for the update :) ......really do appreciate it.
I haven't been back to PS since I last posted, but really looking forward to riding it when I do get down there.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,842 Posts
To each his or her own I guess...
I was just in Palm Desert the last 2 weeks and I loved this figure 8. Someone put a new sign up for the final segment once you finish HBV and end up on Dunn Rd. It magically appeared one day, so now it's a bit easier to find.
I'd never heard the name Cindy's before seeing in this thread, we'd always called it Cathedral Canyon Trail (and I think that is what the new sign says). Whatever it is called, we're clearly talking about the same trail...
I found only a couple of initial sections where it's nearly impossible to ride (steep climbs in a section where rock had been carved out and you couldn't pedal without hitting crank arms). Once over that, it was a long flowy ridge ride for about a mile and then some really tough technical stuff with lots of small drops and tons of loose rocks. I thought it was a great way down, beat the heck out of just riding Dunn Rd. Added into HBV, it makes about 6 miles of single track back to the car after climbing up to the picnic tables. I also saw my first mountain goat on this trail (probably a testament to the fact that it isn't heavily ridden).
Here's a map of my ride on Friday.
View attachment 952984
Do you have any more detailed information that I could possibly add to our SoCal Riding Guide? Is there a Land Management group that runs this area? Do they have actual trail maps or other info online I can link to?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have screen shots of maps and directions for Art Smith, Hahn, Murray Peak, Goat Trails and Santa Rosa Mountain, but no links. I never could find much online about this area but through 3 years of riding there on holidays I've found most of the stuff and really enjoy riding there. Happy to send any of this via email if you DM me your contact info.

Do you have any more detailed information that I could possibly add to our SoCal Riding Guide? Is there a Land Management group that runs this area? Do they have actual trail maps or other info online I can link to?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Mtn Bike Bill has pretty good maps for the area.

Cathedral Canyon Trail is what you take to connect the bottom of HBV to Dunn Road. Once you cross Dunn it is Cindy's.

The Agua Caliente band also has maps, but they show the same names on different sections of trail in many places. Since they suck and hate bikes, I go with Bill's naming, which most people follow.

·
Registered
683 Posts
We rode this again over the weekend and other than the fact that we were burning up from the heat after the slog back to Dunn Rd from HBV, it was a blast. It appears that someone has done some trail maintenance. Our collective recollection was that a couple of the mine fields where there were previously dozens of grapefruit sized loose rocks had been cleared a bit. Also the switchbacks appear to have been cleaned up a bit such that the better riders with me were able to ride everything this time. Still a bit of hiking in from Dunn Rd on the initial section, but totally worth it for what follows. There are quite a few Strava times in for this year alone, so I guess people are riding this more frequently now.

·
Registered
811 Posts
There has been an huge increase in hiking in the Coachella Valley over the last decade. It is no surprise that this trail is being sanitized also. The hikers, and some of the mountain bikers, like to make the trails as benign as possible. The Art Smith and a lot of the trails in the La Quinta Cove have had many of the challenging sections completely changed/removed.
I haven't ridden Cindy's in a few years. I used to ride it a couple of times a year, but I usually ride alone and I have small children now. This is the only trail in the Coachella Valley that I don't like to ride alone because the f'up factor is probable death in a few sections. Maybe Cindy's is the one trail that has been changed for the better. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
There has been an huge increase in hiking in the Coachella Valley over the last decade. It is no surprise that this trail is being sanitized also. The hikers, and some of the mountain bikers, like to make the trails as benign as possible. The Art Smith and a lot of the trails in the La Quinta Cove have had many of the challenging sections completely changed/removed.
I haven't ridden Cindy's in a few years. I used to ride it a couple of times a year, but I usually ride alone and I have small children now. This is the only trail in the Coachella Valley that I don't like to ride alone because the f'up factor is probable death in a few sections. Maybe Cindy's is the one trail that has been changed for the better. I'll check it out.
Definitely improved, I don't think it's as near death experience anymore, although there are still a few sketch spots. But I'd do it alone now.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was tempted to take Cindy's after I climbed Dunn and I did the Hahn this morning. I ended up crossing Dunn after doing the Hahn and taking the newly marked Cathedral Canyon trail. I could see parts of Cindy's and the whole area has been getting plenty of use. I'll ride Cindy's next time.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I just figured out this year that there is yet another way down to Cathedral Cove area... It is called CAT Canyon DH on Strava

From the Mike Dunn Desert Oasis (earth moving equipment) you head away from the picnic tables like you are going to Art Smith but stay left and start to descend a little bit. It is a bit up and down XC style then flowy and then increasing steeper and technical. The top is one of my favorite rides now. No signage and with the rain this year there are spots where you have to pay attention or it's not evident where the trail goes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts