Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
jazzyjuice
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a Ciclon, but have also began to look at the El Rey. I currently ride a Kona HT, XC, 180lbs, 6'. The majority of my riding is ST, not to technical, like to climb. Past rides have been Monarch Trail and Slickrock. Looking to do some endurance races. I would appreciate some feedback on the move up to FS or 29". I am sold on Ventana, just have to make the decision of which one? Working with [email protected] on a build.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Have you talked with Larry re: your style of riding? I've not worked with him, but I can say that he, Chad at RedBarn and Charles at Hammerhead are great at helping people pick out a good frame based on conversations.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
tough call indeed.....both are winners. for your riding, either will do very, very well.

for the riding you describe, I almost wonder if a 29er hardtail is the way to go.....that would be my weapon of coice for endurance racing on not too technical of riding.

29er zealots will say the El Rey but not necessarily in my opinion.

regardless, tough call and keep us posted.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
I suggest you spend sometime on the 29er fora'........then you will realize that how in the world can you live without a 29er! After that....read D-Rock's quote:

" When you're through f*@kin' around, you call Sherwood!" :D

Then the myth of "you're tall so the 29er is right for you" is just that a myth. It's a lot more than being tall that makes the 29er a good pick.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I agree with Fo. A 29er hartail will ride quite a bit smoother than your current hardtail. If your trails are not overly technical, and you climb a bunch, and you are getting around OK on your current hardtail, a FS might be overkill. If you want to start riding more technical stuff then get the El Rey. For endurance races, definatley go with the 29" wheels. Maybe check out the El Patron too?

jazzyjuice said:
I have been looking at a Ciclon, but have also began to look at the El Rey. I currently ride a Kona HT, XC, 180lbs, 6'. The majority of my riding is ST, not to technical, like to climb. Past rides have been Monarch Trail and Slickrock. Looking to do some endurance races. I would appreciate some feedback on the move up to FS or 29". I am sold on Ventana, just have to make the decision of which one? Working with [email protected] on a build.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
29er + FS = E........L.............R.........E........Y !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet !

In all honesty if your working with Larry on a frame choice and build his opinions will be waaaaay better and of course asking Sherwood for a few pointers wouldn't hurt either ! I would go with the El Rey but thats just my preference since I'm diggin my FS 29er ! Good Luck ! TIG.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.