Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered those tires as I want to try them with my new ust wheelset....I haven't mounted yet but I wanted to know first which tire is bigger of both, I was planning to run Nevegal 2.1 UST rear and Chunder 2.2 front but Im not sure if the Nevegal is bigger than the Chunder maybe I'm still on time to order Chunder in 2.3 instead od 2.2.... ...anyone knows that or which combo works better?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Try them both on each because they will probably be about the same size. My Negeval ran big. The Spec run true to size.

Also consider rolling resistance. The UST Negs are not that great, and would be better on the front where there is less weight.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Casing volume will be about the same, but the Nevegal's side knobs will stick out further. I have run the Chunder on both the front and rear. I thought that it rolled noticably faster than the Nevegal. It is a TALL tire. I was a bit hesitant because of the lack of protruding side knobs, but it is all mental I guess. Only difference is that the Chunders drift rather than break away and the Nevegals will hold till they go away suddenly. I would rather know that point to back off rather than have to pick myself up.

Good Luck-

Rob

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I've been running a Chunder 2.2 for the last 5+ months (on a Giant Reign and I weigh 260lbs) until I 'retired' it just yesterday. It still has some life in it, but at my size I want all the grip I can get, so I usually retire tires a little early rather than wait for a fateful moment to force my hand. I have usually been running a Nevegal in front too, but I run either 2.35 of 2.5 Nevegals in the front. Yes, I like larger tires.

I was vacationing in Big Bear last summer and needed a new rear tire as the Nevegal I had was worn too much to work well on the steep chunky yet powdery lift assisted slopes there. The local shop owner suggested the Chunder 2.2. I was a little skeptical about the Chunder, but after riding it on the black diamond runs in BB, I ended up being pretty pleased with it overall.

The Chunder rolls better than the Nevegals and held up well for the $29 I paid for it and was well suited for a rear tire. I converted it to 'ghetto tubeless' back in October and had issues doing so. It never burped or went flat and I only needed to add air every few weeks.

I would rather run a Nevegal up front and the Chunder on the back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.