Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking around for hardtail 29ers with all mountainish geometry & came across this Chumba. http://www.chumbaracing.com/hx2_frames.shtml

Is it just me or is there a huge difference between the medium (18" seat tube/24" top) & large (21" seat tube/24.5" top). Seems to me there oughta be something in between.

Also they say it's designed around a 5" fork but their build kit comes with a Reba :crazy:

Can anyone help me make sense of this?

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
See note on bottom of geometry chart - numbers are based around a 100mm fork.

But you can run a longer travel fork on that frame and it won't pose any difficulties in my opinion.

Also the seat tube center to center on the Medium is just a tad under 16" and the Seat tube center to center on the Large is just under 18" so I'm not getting your confusion on seat tube lengths.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MMcG said:
Also the seat tube center to center on the Medium is just a tad under 16" and the Seat tube center to center on the Large is just under 18" so I'm not getting your confusion on seat tube lengths.
I guess. Still seems odd to me. *shrug*

Took a few measurements and the large Chumba is identical geo to my Extra Large Gary Fisher 26" hardtail. 24.5" top tube, 21" seat tube/17.75 center to center.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Seems like that sort of inconsistency is common on the Chumba website. Their trail hardtail is based around a 5 inch fork, but when you click on geometry it says the numbers are based off of 5.5" (140mm) of front suspenion.

Looks like a fun bike though.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I still don't see anything very weird. The C-C seat tube measurements differ by 2" between those two sizes (15.75 vs 17.75). Two inches is a common difference in frame sizes.

What makes it seem weirder than it really is is that they added an extra inch of seat tube above the top tube (18 C-T vs 21 C-T, possibly for extra reinforcement for the bigger boys)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.