Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hey!

I replied to your private message, but in case others want to know it is a Forgemtb guide that screws in behind the cup of the BB. Works great if finicky to set up. They don't make them anymore.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Bashring/n-gear jumpstop

If you can't find that chain retainer you could always try the bash ring on the outside and the n-gear jumpstop on the inside. I've got it on my 1X9 and it hasn't let me down yet....tho I only have 40 miles on the rig...

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
LOL, well that's the "problem" then, right?

Clearly that crank is his problem. He should immediately that piece of junk off his bike and send it direclty to me for "recycling".

How about one of those roholff (or however you spell it) guides then?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I just managed to obtain my 2nd Rohloff, it's going on my 1x9 KM racer, until I build my Fisher back up as prime race tool, so teh KM can ease back in SS main ride mode.
With the Rohloff on my CX, I never came close to dropping a chain, with the same 27t cassette my KM drops chains like a chain-gun. Having a 42t on the CX does help a bit I guess, only 36t on the Km, so it needs a good guide.
An untuned Rohloff weigs around 70g, mine will be 75g as it gets extra alu shim to (hopefully) fit the thin KM's maiden seattube.

When this Rohloff moves to the race-Fisher one day, I'll try to convert to the double-dime setups "Ty" over on the weight forum once pulled off. 30-35g, out of a standard Rohloff guide, but totally elimiting the large bulky cage, and replacing it with just 2 coins on either side of the chainring, attached to the forward cage mounting bolt.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
I've been hoping Ngear would do something like what Cloxxi pictured above. Looking at the jump stop it looks like it would be pretty easy to machine or just bend something kind of like the cage of a front derailleur to go over the chain so both the outside and inside were blocked from chain dropping. I do so hate the look of a bash guard....

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The Rohloff guide has been around for some years now, but even in Europe not very well known. Rohloff hubs are far from mainstream, let alone on FS bikes which might need the guide. No idea why a Rohloff equipped hardtail would need one.
When I bought my first, it was the equivalent of now ~€35 (70 guilders), but I lucked out, and got the 2nd one for free from a fellow racer. well, I got it a month later than we had planned to do the transition, so I lost my chain 10 times and thus 30 places in the last points race...

In my bottom pic, Ty's lightweight version less cage, I think the coins are a tad too small, and the guide a few mm's too high to work perfectly at least according to my intuition. I've only tried the full cage, and always felt like running as close to the chainring as possble. The Rohloff pic above mounts it way up there as well, anyone have input on what's best? In case of semi-derailment, does the guide need to give the chain a bit of room? I've never encountered that onthe CX bike at least, but then it hasn't been through many brake stutters anyway, the bike's got carbon Zipps, 'nuff said.
Long story short, if the guide needs some room above the ring, perhaps the coins might be a bit bigger?

·
Registered
27 Posts
DMR Chain Cage

There is another one by DMR that is a bit of an erector set but very customizable. I set quite a few up on single ring cyclo-cross bikes for Nationals last year and they worked well.

BTI did carry them last year but I checked and they are not showing them in stock, a search on Google came up with a few online sites that had them.

I've also used the Rohloff and it has the best look I've seen. Can be a bit of a bear on some frames to get aligned but the extension pieces are easily cut to get a good fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.