Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 rides in and I'm loving it, okay my local terrain is not natural fat bike territory, in fact the trails have turned dusty these last few days but still here's few initial observations :)

32x20 is very spinny, too spinny for round here but I reckon just about perfect for the coastal/beach rides in the UK that I'm planning this year

tarmac is interesting at the front, the endomorph has a mind of its own when it comes to steering, but I think I'll get used to that.

Riding no handed took a bit of doing !

There are some notorious sand traps around here, normally I'm off and pushing through, this bike just steamed on through, not a quiver !

I don't think that I'll need a full fat bike, and this Karate Monkey build gives me the option to quickly return it to a standard 29er

The bottom line is that I'm really enjoying it, so much so that I have ordered another identical build for my 16 year old son so we can share bike packing and bivvying adventures along the coast together.

His will be black though !

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
SteveM said:
tarmac is interesting at the front, the endomorph has a mind of its own when it comes to steering, but I think I'll get used to that.
Try a Larry up front. The rounder profile will help that a lot, and it's a WAY better front tire than an Endo anyway....

Fun lookin' rig, enjoy!

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
That's a Kung Fu Gorilla right there. An excellent monster truck setup for rocks, roots and lots of mud, sand or soft trail. Also really good training setup, since the tires are literally twice the weight of your average 29er tire.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heh, 6 months was all it took to go full fat, brand new Mukluk waiting for my bad back to get well, KM will end up as a commuter 29er for winter duties, assuming that I ever ride a skinny again :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
heh, 6 months was all it took to go full fat, brand new Mukluk waiting for my bad back to get well, KM will end up as a commuter 29er for winter duties, assuming that I ever ride a skinny again :)
Just seeing this thread for the first time. Excited because I have a Karate Monkey and maybe enough spare change to throw together a project like this(but not enough for a new bike). Can you explain why you're going full fat? What did the fat monkey not do for you?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah sure, as much as I enjoy riding it (and I've probably ridden it over 400 miles since getting it built) it always felt like the compromise that it is, the chance to get full fat came up so I've taken the plunge :)

It is great fun, but I want more of that fun ;-)

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Just seeing this thread for the first time. Excited because I have a Karate Monkey and maybe enough spare change to throw together a project like this(but not enough for a new bike). Can you explain why you're going full fat? What did the fat monkey not do for you?
I had a very similar setup to his, and ended up abandoning it. I still ride the KM as my main summer bike/commuter, but Fatback only for winter/soft surface rides. Reasons:

-The Karate Monkey is designed around 29" wheels, and handles very well with 29" wheels. The handling is so-so with a 27.5" wheel out back, which is about what the Leopard measures out to. The KM bb is low enough as it is.

-Fatbikes are designed around fat wheels, and fat wheels roll faster, grip just as well and feel way smoother than a Kung Fu Gorilla set up on soft surfaces.

-All it took was one ride on a borrowed Fatback to make me sell three sets of wheels I had accumulated trying to make my Karate Monkey a competitive snowbike.

That's not to say that a gorilla/chubby setup has no merit. I think they're great on rocky/muddy terrain with fat downhill tires like the Leopard. They're also pretty quick on hardpacked snow with a fat xc tire like the Vredestein Black Panther, since it's half the weight of an Endomorph. I would definitely try to squeeze them into a 1x1 before putting them in a KM though. The handling will be better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.