Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1986 Rockhopper I still have the original threaded headset. I have tightened it up a million times only to have it work looose over the course of a short ride, albiet sometimes a rough ride as well. I tighten the locknut while holding the 32mm threaded upper cup. There is nothing between the locknut and the threaded flange like a washer or anything but originally I think there was a reflector mount that may have served as a washer. So, do I need to find a washer for it? Could it be because the bearings are worn out? What else could be the problem?

Thanks

Jon

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
WVJon75 said:
On my 1986 Rockhopper I still have the original threaded headset. I have tightened it up a million times only to have it work looose over the course of a short ride, albiet sometimes a rough ride as well. I tighten the locknut while holding the 32mm threaded upper cup. There is nothing between the locknut and the threaded flange like a washer or anything but originally I think there was a reflector mount that may have served as a washer. So, do I need to find a washer for it? Could it be because the bearings are worn out? What else could be the problem?

Thanks

Jon
use a keyed washer.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Yep, a keyed washer helps. Or find an old Gorilla Lock - they were designed for just such a headset.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,341 Posts
You may also want to pull the top lock nut, and check it, and the steerers threads. If they are tired, that may be contributing too. A drop or two of blue loctite, may help if that's the case, as will a new lock nut if sourceable. Good luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Washer thickness

The washer needs to be a little thicker than the gap between the bottom of the locknut and the top of the upper bearing cup, otherwise you'll think it's tight but in reality the nut will be cinching down on the top of the threaded steerer.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,434 Posts
A 1986 headset still going?

Might be time for a new one. If the bearing cups are worn it will never feel tight.

I recently replaced the old Onza threaded headset on my Klein Pinnacle with a nice new Ritchey 1 inch threaded I got off ebay for cheap. Much better.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
dick said:
Maybe rumpfy can loan you his special headset tool.

That sledge would probably fix it, but the key is to lock the bottom nut against the top nut. The Gorilla Grip Nut fix is for people that cant adjust headsets. ;)

1. Tighten headset to desired tightness
2. Thread down locknut up against the headset snugly
3. Back headset off against locknut tightly

9 times out of 10 you really only need one wrench to do it properly. Ive never had issues with non-keyed washers, but ideally you'd want atleast a washer in there.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
That sledge would probably fix it, but the key is to lock the bottom nut against the top nut. The Gorilla Grip Nut fix is for people that cant adjust headsets. ;)

1. Tighten headset to desired tightness
2. Thread down locknut up against the headset snugly
3. Back headset off against locknut tightly

9 times out of 10 you really only need one wrench to do it properly. Ive never had issues with non-keyed washers, but ideally you'd want atleast a washer in there.

I had the same chronic loose headset problem until Fillet_Brazed suggested this. Haven't had a problem since. :thumbsup:

·
artistic...
7,601 Posts
dick said:
Maybe rumpfy can loan you his special headset tool.
i'm using this tool to free the craddle from the ultra soft alum. kalloy uno mast everytime i need to tilt my saddle and yes, i am looking for a new seatpost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts