Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all: I need to get some heavy duty cranks for my heavy duty/unbreakable mountain bike (Banshee Morphine), and I'm thinking Profile or some similar chromoly cranks (Poverty, Redline, Primo, etc.), but I've only run square tapers for as long as I've been riding (a long time), so I don't know how to make those cranks compatible with my 68mm threaded bb. I've looked at some sites, and it seems that I can just run a so-called "euro" bb with spacers - is this correct? Also, I currently run a triple up front - can I continue to do so using these cranks, and if only a double, what combination can I run (like a 28/42 or something like that?).

Any help from all the crank-busters out there would be appreciated. Thanks - Kelly

·
Registered
67 Posts
other options

Profiles are sweet and they offer mtb bb's but i think you have to buy a bmx set up and then buy the mtb bb and spindle and spider....not sure though. FSA makes the x drive bash crank set and it's pretty sweet, I have one on my woodman elite and it's super stiff, all cromo, fits mtb bb, and uses a 1 inch 48 spline spindle like the profiles. Comes in black with rings and 5mm bashguard plus it'a super adjustable for all kindsa chainguides...good crank...lata

·
Registered
629 Posts
Nah, you can get Profiles that include the MTB BB. You don't need to buy the BMX ones and then get the mtb BB. Just be sure you are actually getting the MTB ones. They're pricey though. But once you get them you're set for life, just need to replace the bearings from timt to time.

Azonic 454's are another option that come with a MTB BB. They're not Profile quality, but pretty nice and super strong.

I run both on my bikes and like em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts