Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the addition of the new Aerie trail the local riders in the know of all the really cool rides have been incorporating the Christmas wash into the loop mix. Fortunately the me the last couple weeks have been full on riding with numerous vacationers from all over the world.

What is always difficult is to show advanced riders a new ride everyday to keep them from getting bored, so Christmas has been brought into the mix. Today's ride was done with riders from Canada and New Zealand. I am in the process of editing the video of today's ride, which will indicate all the sections that need to be sanatized to allow lesser skilled tourists to ride the trail without dabbing.

Due to the length of the ride I think it will take about 85 man-hours of volunteer sanitation to complete the project. I will need volunteers who can move rocks weighing up to 200 lbs., so if you aren't use to hard labor you probably shouldn't volunteer.

Please wait until the videos are done before signing up.

TD

·
Will Guide for Beer
727 Posts
Spending time in Christmas Wash? Seems futile. It's all there already. You plan on going outside the wash ala Ezy Breezy?

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK here is the video link:

The rollin is off the Cockscomb trail and Christmas Wash T's into another wash, which intersects upstream to the Dawa Trail or downstream to the AZ Cypress trail, I will try and show it in a Google Earth jpeg later.

I haven't completed the video of the sanitation spots yet, but if you watch the above video you will see spots where I either dabbed or one of the riders ahead of me dabbed. There is also a spot where I ripped my XT Shadow Derailluer off my bike. Those are the areas I will be sanitizing, so I and less skilled riders will be provided a better user experience.

Hopefully, those riders who are looking for a more challenging riding experience won't rag on me, and will just drop into the Dry Creek Wash and ride it downstream to hook into Oak Creek. Dry Creek Wash is probably over four miles long and should give very skilled riders plenty of challenging riding.

TD

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
gmookher said:
does the FS know about your work there?...
gmook:

I doubt they know about it. Since this is a trail improvement project I don't think it is an issue. Since some of the rocks are over 200 lbs. or deeply imbedded I will need a more of a Blue Collar type individual to help with the project.

Thanks for your interest. I think the trail might be a good trail for you and your wife to check out to test your current skill level. You might change your mind about the sanitation project if you can't clean a lot of the difficult sections. I would recommend a 6" travel or bigger bike for this ride. A light weight Highline would also work well.

TD

·
Banned
236 Posts
traildoc said:
gmook:

They don't know about it, so when we go in to do the work it will most likely be a nightime project when they have gone home. I will need volunteers who have helmet lite setups. I have three extra sets I can lone someone who has the ability of moving those BIG rocks.

TD
TD:

I see you edited your orig post. Smart for a guy who talks alot of dumb talk...LOL

I am interested retrying this effort to try and get us to see eye to eye: seeing as you seem more amiable to building the more rugged lines I want...

we have gotten off on the wrong foot. Perhaps I owe you an apology for getting excited and venomous.

since neither of us are going anywhere why dont you come down to PJs, bring a buddy, I'll buy 1st round of beers?

lets TALK man:thumbsup:

peace love and chain lube
gm

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
gmookher said:
TD:

I am interested retrying this effort to try and get us to see eye to eye: seeing as you seem more amiable to building the more rugged lines I want...

we have gotten off on the wrong foot. Perhaps I owe you an apology for getting excited and venomous.

since neither of us are going anywhere why dont you come down to PJs, bring a buddy, I'll buy 1st round of beers?

gm
Apparently, the pharmacy is now open!

Less drama on the boards and in the world is a good thing....

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Damifino Peace Ride

gmookher said:
TD:

gm
gm:

To be TOTALLY HONEST with you I appreciate you wanting to make peace, I am with you on that. That being said, rather than meet you for a beer, I am more interested in doing a ride with you and having a bunch of my buddies join us for the ride.

What I am not clear about is what you consider to be your current skill level? Previously I tried to ride Damifino with you and you didn't show up because of the weather issue or some other reason. I assume you have watched some video of Damifino so you have a pretty good idea as to the skill level needed to clean the difficult sections.

The other day Rockman met up with you and your wife riding up Munds on your way to Damifino and from what you previously indicated you ran out of daylight and bailed at Cow Pies.

I personally am not clear as to whether you are a skilled enough rider to ride Damifino or you are trying to find a trail that is above your skill level and you want to practice your good judgement skills and will walk the sections that look to be above your skill level. If that is the case you have picked a great skill tester trail.

You have indicated you don't enjoy riding sanitized trails, so that indicates you like to ride more technical trails. At this point, what do you consider to be the most technical trail in Sedona that you have enjoyed riding or walking sections over your skill level?

This weekend would be a good opprotunity to ride Damifino to Burger King (or some other challenging trail), if you still are interested in doing that ride. I can bring a cooler with beers (let me know your favorite brew) to celebrate the ride.

Maybe Rockman can join the ride. He has wanted to do the Steamboat and Birdcage sections.

TD

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
gmookher said:
TD:

gm
Can somebody please bring a video camera for said meeting?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Pretty sure Jerry Springer is on standby.........

·
Will Guide for Beer
727 Posts
traildoc said:
OK here is the video link:

TD
It looks like you cleaned over 80% of Christmas Wash. Nice riding, hopefully your der is OK.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey TD,

I'm coming to town for a week starting this Sat. night. Can I join you guys if the "love ride" is this Sunday? We last rode with you on an Aerie/Cockscomb loop, to Taco Del Mar lunch to Hangover about two months ago after Fat Tire had my Ibis ready to roll.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apexit said:
Hey TD,

I'm coming to town for a week starting this Sat. night. Can I join you guys if the "love ride" is this Sunday? We last rode with you on an Aerie Loop/Cockscomb loop, to Taco Del Mar lunch to Hangover about two months ago after Fat Tire had my Ibis ready to roll.
A:

You are welcome to join us. Whatever gm wants to do Sunday is is fine with me.

TD

·
Registered
200 Posts
gmookher said:
again girls, its not really about my skill level here, its about the trails, and the ethics around the 'dumb it down' and "sanitization"

Awesome, girls are going too? Now I really need to dress up for this ride cause if GM dabs less than me, I need to at least look better:)

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
gmookher said:
what I discussed at lenght on sunday was just that, that whether I clear a section or NOT, doesnt give TD or anyone licensure to go make a section 'easier'
Since when did the world revolved around you?

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
gmookher said:
again girls, its not really about my skill level here, its about the trails, and the ethics around the 'dumb it down' and "sanitization"

sure, we should all go ride, but in no way am I playing TD's 'show me your skillz' logic:

what I discussed at lenght on sunday was just that, that whether I clear a section or NOT, doesnt give TD or anyone licensure to go make a section 'easier'

I just moved here, I may not have ridden said trail 20 times
I may well clear said obstacle on my 21st time.

I still fail to see the co-relation between mine, or anyone elses skill level and TD's mentality of "I will fix what I deem needed"

I am sure the FS would not like to see you posting about doing work at night with lights

if you are posting this TD, you KNOW youre doing stuff you shouldnt be
screw my skill level, stop making that the topic here

its not a "lets see whose is better at that line" contest, if it were, I'm in last place

Its true, I have no problem walking sections that I cant ride, but it really really upsets me to see the USFS or others dumbing it down.

I'll let you all know what my weekend looks like as it gets closer
dude, you should get your own segment on fox news...

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gmookher said:

sure, we should all go ride, but in no way am I playing TD's 'show me your skillz' logic:

I just moved here, I may not have ridden said trail 20 times
I may well clear said obstacle on my 21st time.

I still fail to see the co-relation between mine, or anyone elses skill level and TD's mentality of "I will fix what I deem needed"

I am sure the FS would not like to see you posting about doing work at night with lights

if you are posting this TD, you KNOW youre doing stuff you shouldnt be
screw my skill level, stop making that the topic here

its not a "lets see whose is better at that line" contest, if it were, I'm in last place

Its true, I have no problem walking sections that I cant ride, but it really really upsets me to see the USFS or others dumbing it down.

I'll let you all know what my weekend looks like as it gets closer
gm:

This is the deal, per the FS blessings I will continue to do trail improvements where I deem them a good addition to the trail. The FS has recognized that I have a common sensical understanding of where trail improvements will enhance the user experience for the majority of the riding public. They also know, WTF I am doing and they don't have to manage me like most volunteers.

That being said, IF YOU TO DECIDE YOU WANTED TO DO A GROUP RIDE ON SUNDAY, what trail do you want to ride, or which trail that I have done a video on, do you want to ride.

I am trying to pin you down because the the last time we were going to ride you blew me off and I sat at the Huckaby parking lot for 20 minutes before I decided I had been blown off.

You complain about me sanitizing trail sections you previously couldn't ride and I still don't know if you can ride them after I did the trail improvement. You accuse me of dumbing down trails I seldom ride and have NO interest in working on.

Your user icon sucks and you want to be my friend and drink beer together. Are you going to be tolerant and agree to disagree or are you going to be intolerant? If you are going to be intolerant or worst ruin my life I am not interested in continuing our friendship. I have plenty of friends who are tolerant and kinda tolerant and I don't need a new intolerant friend.

Lastly, I have been sharing these posts with my wife and I am curious if you also share all your recent posts and edits with yours? What does, "I am plain crazy and loving it mean?'

TD

1 - 20 of 42 Posts