Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a new bike for girlfriend and was looking for some suggestions on the type of bike (MTB or Hybrid) and specific bike recommendations from other women riders. I love riding single track and would like to get her more interested but she is currently a ride through the park rider. She has been on several rides with me and has done really well and I have given lots of encouragement to try harder trails. Should I push the MTB and try and cox her along that path or stick to the hybrid and easy trails with her?

·
Unshaven Yak
503 Posts
Well, I'd try coxing her along, but you might try coaxing instead :D (sorry stuck my nose in and didn't get out in time)

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
praxis75 said:
I'm thinking of buying a new bike for girlfriend and was looking for some suggestions on the type of bike (MTB or Hybrid) and specific bike recommendations from other women riders. I love riding single track and would like to get her more interested but she is currently a ride through the park rider. She has been on several rides with me and has done really well and I have given lots of encouragement to try harder trails. Should I push the MTB and try and cox her along that path or stick to the hybrid and easy trails with her?
You are new here, search the WL for "how to get my girl into MTB" for lots of good advice.
Personally, I suggest that unless she has specifically asked for a mountain bike, do not do it unless you want an expensive clothes rack for the garage.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
1) The general consensus is that buying a bike for a woman does not make her into a rider. She should express interest on her plain Jane bike first and be made to earn the new rig.

2) Some of us in the WL (I shall remain nameless) get a little annoyed reading post after post about guys buying bikes for their non-riding GFs. I think those unused new bikes should be donated to the WL and raffled off.

3) Some women have in fact become interested in riding due to dating a guy with such an interest, and a good bike does in fact enhance the experience. Still, I would strongly suggest sticking to the advice in #1 lest you end up in situation #2.

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Christine said:
...2) Some of us in the WL (I shall remain nameless) get a little annoyed reading post after post about guys buying bikes for their non-riding GFs. I think those unused new bikes should be donated to the WL and raffled off....
I think we should donate them to Berkeley Mike's team.

·
here today
5,926 Posts
verslowrdr said:
I think we should donate them to Berkeley Mike's team.
Great idea! However, I did relight the bike passion, by doing just that - bought a bike for Madame Zen, picked up a clunker for Madame Zen good friend pushed them outside on a Saturday and said don't come back for two hours, now dressed funny, they really couldn't go shopping (I also kept the car keys). Now, I was hoping to see Christmas gift ideas for these softcore riders (that talk shop in public)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.