Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday night. I sold my Trek 3x9 69er frame, fork and 26" rear rim last week. I then called up Glen at Bitterbrush Cycles In Lyons, CO to order the replacement parts to build it into a 29er. The 69er was really cool and super fun to ride I just couldn't live without the rear wheel momentum carrying ability of the bigger hoop.

So I actually ended up ordering a Fox F29 in 120mm. I took the 100mm F29 off my RIP9 and put it on the EMD. The RIP feels a lot more balanced with the bigger fork on the front.

So it's like I have two new bikes.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Very nice and I'm very jealous so I need to pick holes in your choice of bike and components...colour, no good,...wheels, no ok....ahh seat post, no, ok too....ahah, pedals, why you go with bloody blah,blah,blah. Ok I give up, I like em. :)

I'm looking forward to a July christmas and new 29er single speed if I can just work out which one to get.
:madman:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marz. Make sure you post pics of your new ride.

It's basically the same build and setup on both bikes. The only differences are as follows:

RIP 9
Full XTR Drivetrain and brakes
Chris King Hubs
Stan's Arch rims

EMD 9
Full XT Kit Drivertrain and brakes
XTR Hubs
Stan's Flow rims

The rest of the components are the same:eek:n both bikes
Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite (best in the biz)
Stem: Thomson X4 stem (Super stiff and sexy looking)
Grips: ODI Ruffian (work great and are super easy to install and remove)
Headset: King (Enough said)
Cables: Gore Tex (None better, they will last longer than tthe bike)
Seatpost: Maverick/Crank Brothers Speedball/Joplin w remote (Best thing since sliced bread)
Front Tire: Kenda Nevegal (None better for the front in AZ)
Rear Tire: WTB Prowler SL (Super fast rolling, very durable sidewall, lightweight and great cornering traction)
Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy SL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same taste in bikes....

I have the same two bikes in the same colors. Except for the seatposts, components are close also. I went with full XT, king hubs & headsets, thompson posts and stems. I got my RIP before the F29 120 was available. I am planning to get the 120 for the RIP and move the 100 to my EMD. Fully rigid is nostalgic, but more painful than I remember.

I see you are from AZ. I was born and raised in Phoenix but return only as a snowbird now.

Niners are great bikes - enjoy the ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CM, you've got great taste in bikes! I've really never had so much fun riding a bike. Niner builds such a great bike. BTW, I took my RIP 9 with the Fox 120mm out for a spin on National and it was superb. The bike feels so balance now. The bike is really perfect in every way now. It's truly an All Mountain bike.

Hope to see on the local trails next Winter. Cheers!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CM,
I was just looking at your pics again and figured out that we're have another connection besides our tastes in bikes. I used to live in Colorado Springs for 7 years. I guess great minds think and live alike;-) I use to go up to Denver with some freinds and and we would ride Dakota Ridge and the other trail that's next to Red Rocks. I believe it's called Mathew Winters. That's a killer climb and sweet downhill.

I really miss the trails up in CO. Enjoy!.

·
Registered
184 Posts
they sell a 120mm F29?! I had mine modified to 100mm but 120mm would be pretty sweet.

Oh and your bikes are WAY too clean! Make it look like you ride them at least! :f2:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Great looking bikes guys.. Makes me want one..
I'm not sure about a Niner or Vassago SS..

I'm confused as to which one to build.. they both ride great..
I have a Bander now and love it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.